“Despite this quarantine, there have been several outbreaks inOregon, Washington and British Columbia,” she said. “Theseoutbreaks are believed to have originated from ornamental plantsbrought into the U.S. from Europe.”In an effort to keep the disease from entering the Southeasternstates, Williams-Woodward and her counterparts in Tennessee,Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina are surveyingnurseries in their states. The survey is being conducted incooperation with the USDA and the U.S. Forest Service.”We are sampling high risk plants in high risk areas of eachstate,” she said. “In Georgia, that’s the northern part of thestate above the fall line. This is the area that has the mostoak and rhododendron forests.”The researchers are collecting samples of leaf spot and die backand checking the samples for the disease. “So far, we have collected 500 samples from six nurseries inGeorgia and we haven’t detected the pathogen,” she said. “Overall, across the five states, we have collected about 2,000samples and haven’t found the disease.” By Sharon OmahenUniversity of Georgia Research on chemical control is being conducted by researchers inCalifornia. However, Williams-Woodward says fungicides areunlikely to truly control Sudden Oak Death. “Limiting the spread of infected plants and soil from areas knownto have the disease is still the best approach to controlling thedisease,” she said. “Quarantining infected nurseries is anothercontrol method.”For now, Williams-Woodward sees some potentially positiveoutcomes for Georgia growers.”The California quarantine has opened up a market that could befilled by Georgia growers,” she said. “Korea is refusing toaccept ornamentals from California. Other countries may impose asimilar quarantine. Georgia growers could be filling this need.” Tanoaks and other true oak species first began showing signs ofthe disease in 1995 in Marin County, California. Quarantine in California Can it survive in southern climates?Williams-Woodward believes it’s just a matter of time untilsudden oak death arrives in the South. How it will fare isunknown.”We don’t know if it would even survive in Georgia,” she said. “It prefers cooler, wetter climates so it may not be able tosurvive the hot, humid weather here.” To help control the spread of the disease, 12 counties inCalifornia and one county in Oregon have been quarantined.Growers there cannot ship plants out unless they are declareddisease-free. Concern grew when the disease began to affect live oaks. Thedisease actually affects diverse plant species other than oaksincluding, but not limited to, Douglas fir, California bay laureland camellia. The disease causes dark, rust-colored cankers that seep at thetree’s base. Sudden oak death has also been seen on understoryplants such as rhododendron, causing leaf spots or scorch-likesymptoms.”It spreads to other plants when the spores are splashed by waterfrom rain,” said Williams-Woodward. “It appeared as if one year the trees were green and the nextthey were brown,” said Williams-Woodward. “It first strucktanoaks, which many people consider to be a weedy tree, so notmany people were concerned.” Oak trees in California appear to be suddenly dying, but thedisease that’s striking them down isn’t actually fast acting. University of Georgia researchers are working with otherscientists in the Southeast to track the disease and make sure itdoesn’t head this way. “Sudden oak death is actually a misnomer,” said JeanWilliams-Woodward, an extension plant pathologist with the UGACollege ofAgricultural and Environmental Sciences. “It isn’t sudden and itdoesn’t just affect oak trees.”Actually takes three or more yearsSudden oak death was coined because a number of oak treesappeared to be suddenly dying in California, she said. Thedisease, caused by the fungus Phytophthora ramorum, actuallytakes three or more years to cause the death of a tree.
The school announced the move Monday evening, though it didn’t specify which programs were impacted by the cluster. In a separate release, the school said that not all of 27 positive cases reported involved athletes.In a statement, athletics director Boo Corrigan said the school is working to determine “the most responsible path moving forward.”In a tweet Monday, athletics spokesman Fred Demarest said the athletics department has conducted 2,053 tests to athletes, coaches and staff with 30 total positives for an infection rate of 1.5%. But those figures include 693 tests and 22 positives in the most recent set of results.The school also announced two other coronavirus clusters Monday, one involving nine positive cases in a campus residence hall and the second in an off-campus apartment complex with five positive cases involving students.___ The Latest: NC State pauses all athletic activities Athletics director Kevin White says it is “imperative to be both adaptable and compliant in anticipation of hosting fans in the near future.”___The Norwegian government says it will make an exception from its travel ban to accommodate a Nations League soccer game against Austria on Sept. 4 in Oslo.Culture and sports minister Abid Q. Raja says “we make this exception to ensure that both teams can field a full crew.”Raja adds “this is not a general exception … this is an exception for this match.” Louisville anticipates admitting 18,000 spectators at Cardinal Stadium with appropriate seat distancing along with increased physical distancing at entrances. The plan is subject to change and the school is working with state officials.Plans call for the former ticket office and a store at one gate to be removed for 16 openings and 32 entrances, with additional staffing. Safety measures include distancing inside the 60,800-seat stadium and parking lots for tailgating, temperature checks and face coverings.Season ticket holders will have the opportunity to select seat location from physically distanced sets in priority point order. Priority points are awarded each year for season ticket holder longevity and donations to the Cardinal Athletic Fund. Louisville opens on Sept. 12 against Western Kentucky in its lone non-conference game before a 10-game Atlantic Coast Conference schedule.___ Bundesliga team Schalke has reported a positive case of the coronavirus in an unidentified member of staff at its training camp in Austria.“The affected person is currently self-isolating after the test result. Contact tracing is already underway,” the club says on its website. Schalke was due to play Würzburger Kickers in a friendly game later Monday but that has been called off as the club conducts further tests. Team doctor Patrick Ingelfinger is liaising with local authorities on what the club should do next. “We will do everything we are told to do by the authorities. The health and safety of everyone involved is the most important thing,” sports director Jochen Schneider said. In a statement, the team said that “for the time being, it is in the best interest of the general public and our organization that fans not attend games.”The Ravens said they will continue to work with health officials about finding a way to eventually make the stadium safe for fans during home games.___Jamaican world record holder Usain Bolt says on social media he is awaiting the result of a coronavirus test and is quarantining himself as a precaution.The 34-year-old retired sprinter who won gold in the 100 and 200 meters at the last three Olympics posted a video Monday on his official Instagram account to explain the situation. August 24, 2020 ___Duke will open its season for football and other fall sports with no fans at home games because of the coronavirus pandemic.Duke says traditional parking lots used by fans on gameday will be closed. The school will contact football fans who have purchased season or single-game tickets or have seating and suite contracts in Blue Devil Tower regarding potential options.The school will allow fans to purchase a fan cutout of a person or pet to be placed in seats for football games. The school will offer varied packages and stadium locations along with weekly prize drawings and the ability to have football coach David Cutcliffe autograph the cutout.The school says sales proceeds will go to Duke Athletics for student-athlete support. The board of directors of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum has voted unanimously to reschedule this winter’s two Era Committee elections because of concerns associated with the COVID-19 pandemic.Hall of Fame Chairman Jane Forbes Clark says the Era Committee process requires in-person dialogue involving the members of the 16-person voting committee. In view of those concerns, she said the board decided that the Golden Days Committee and the Early Days Committee will instead meet during the winter of 2021.The Golden Days Era Committee considers Hall of Fame candidates whose primary contributions to the game came from 1950 to 1969, and the Early Baseball Era Committee considers candidates whose primary contributions came prior to 1950. Each committee will consider a ballot of 10 candidates compiled by the Baseball Writers’ Association of America’s Historical Overview Committee, and those candidates will be announced in autumn 2021. Both committees will consider the ballots later that year and anybody elected will be enshrined in 2022.___Clemson football coach Dabo Swinney and men’s basketball coach Brad Brownell are among 15 members of the school’s athletic department taking a voluntary 10% salary cut as a way to offset expected losses due to the coronavirus pandemic. A former speaker of the Nebraska Legislature, Flood asked the conference to produce documents relating to voting by the university presidents as well as meeting minutes and audio and video recordings and transcripts of meetings where votes were cast. He also asked for copies of studies, scientific data and medical information or advice considered by the presidents.Flood threatened to file a federal lawsuit if he didn’t receive the requested material.___Iowa’s athletic department is working to secure a $75 million loan to cushion the blow of losing a projected $100 million in revenue because of the coronavirus pandemic.Athletic director Gary Barta said the Hawkeyes had built a strong financial foundation before the coronavirus forced cancellation of the NCAA men’s basketball tournament and led to the Big Ten’s postponement of football until after Jan. 1. Now the athletic department faces a $60-$75 million deficit. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___North Carolina State has paused all athletics activities due to a coronavirus cluster within its programs. Attendance for the first two games in West Point, New York, is expected to be limited to the Corps of Cadets and exclude the general public.Decisions on fan attendance for the remaining home games at Michie Stadium will be decided later.The Black Knights will open the season Sept. 5 at home against Middle Tennessee State. The rest of the home slate includes Louisiana-Monroe, BYU, Abilene Christian, The Citadel, Mercer, Air Force and Georgia Southern.Road games are at UTSA, Tulane and Philadelphia for the 121st Army-Navy matchup.___ Iowa announced initial budget reductions in July, and after the Big Ten pulled the plug on fall football earlier this month the Hawkeyes announced Friday they would drop men’s gymnastics, men’s tennis, and men’s and women’s swimming and diving. Barta said there are no plans to eliminate other sports and figures it will take about 15 years for the athletic department to pay off the loan. He said he had a “guestimate” for how much money Iowa could bring in from post-Jan. 1 football, but he declined to disclose the figure.___The Baltimore Ravens won’t have any fans at home games for the first part of the upcoming season because of the coronavirus pandemic. The team had outlined a plan to accommodate a crowd of 7,500, but decided against it “based on the recommendations of public health experts.” The university also announced Monday a furlough program for affected employees starting Sept. 1 through the end of the year. Clemson said about half of its full-time employees will be impacted by the cost-saving measures. University President Jim Clements is also subject to the 10% voluntary salary reduction.___An attorney representing the families of 11 Nebraska football players says Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren has not responded to a letter seeking documents and other material outlining specifics of how the conference decided to not play football in the fall.Mike Flood said in a statement that his “clients believe that transparency in decision making is not too much to ask when the health of student athletes, their future opportunities and the very survival of men’s and women’s sporting programs are at stake.” Stefanski did not disclose how many false positives affected the Browns. He said 12 more players need to be cleared before they can practice Monday.The 38-year-old coach praised the Browns for the way they handled “a fire drill” with their virus protocols.— Tom Withers reporting from Cleveland.___Army has finalized its football schedule and the Black Knights will play 11 games, eight at home. Navy and Air Force remain on the schedule. “Good morning everybody. Just waking up. Like everybody, checked social media and saw that social media says I’m confirmed of COVID-19,” he said. “I did a test Saturday, because I work. I’m trying to be responsible, so I’m going to stay in and stay here for my friends.”Bolt added he has no symptoms.“Just to be safe, I’ll quarantine myself and just take it easy,” he said.Bolt set the world records in the 100 and 200 meters at the 2009 world championships in Berlin. He retired after worlds in 2017.___ Associated Press Cleveland Browns coach Kevin Stefanski was one of the numerous COVID-19 false positive tests reported Sunday by the NFL’s lab partner.Stefanski was at home with his wife and three children when he got word that he may have the virus.“It wasn’t fun,” Stefanski said on a Zoom call. “I can laugh about it now, but truly it wasn’t fun to have that phone call very early in the morning and not get news that it was potentially an error until later.”Stefanski said he immediately left his house as not to put his family in any more danger. He went to a condominium near the team’s facility where he stayed before moving his family to Ohio from Minnesota in the offseason. He spent the previous 13 seasons on the Vikings’ staff.It took four hours before Stefanski learned he was negative. He was not able to coach on Sunday, when the Browns initially called off their workout before holding it when they learned of the flawed lab results. Norway captain Omar Elabdellaoui and striker Alexander Soerloth both play in Turkey.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports