Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists September 3, 2018 – Updated on September 7, 2018 China: RSF denounces the exclusion of a Japanese journalist from diplomatic meeting Help by sharing this information A reporter, sent to Beijing by Japanese conservative daily newspaper Sankei Shimbun on August 29th to cover the meeting between the Foreign Ministries of China and Japan, was suddenly declared persona non grata without given a precise reason at the request expressed by Chinese Minister Wang Yi. The reporter’s name was not disclosed. In response, other Japanese journalists who came to cover the meeting boycotted the event.”This arbitrary decision once again demonstrates how little Beijing is doing about press freedom,” said Cédric Alviani, Director of the RSF East Asia Office. “This sidelining appears even more absurd as the journalist was accredited to follow the delegation and that the Chinese authorities had granted him a visa.”In its annual report published in February, the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China (FCCC) described the authorities’ growing relentlessness in preventing the foreign press from doing its job. In 2017, two photojournalists from the South Korean delegation were beaten by plainclothes agents while covering President Moon’s official visit to Beijing.Last week, the head correspondent of Buzzfeed News in China saw her visa renewal refused, as did a Swedish journalist in 2016, a correspondent of French magazine L’Obs in 2015, and a New York Times reporter in 2013.China ranks 176th out of 180 countries in the 2018 RSF World Press Freedom Index and has more than 50 imprisoned journalists. RSF_en News June 7, 2021 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) denounces the Chinese Foreign Minister’s decision to exclude a Japanese journalist from a China-Japan diplomatic meeting in Beijing last Wednesday. Follow the news on Asia – Pacific In rural India, journalists face choice between covering pandemic and survival Receive email alerts News Organisation June 10, 2021 Find out more News Mongolia : RSF urges presidential candidates to voice support for press freedom to go further ChinaJapanAsia – Pacific Condemning abuses Freedom of expression ChinaJapanAsia – Pacific Condemning abuses Freedom of expression June 2, 2021 Find out more
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York An East Meadow man was arrested for allegedly setting fire to a tent in which a man was sleeping in the Hempstead Plains Preserve in Uniondale this week, police said.Bradley Storey, 50, of East Meadow, was charged with arson, assault and reckless endangerment.New York State police said Storey and the 37-year-old victim got into a fight and when the victim later woke up from his sleep, his tent was on fire and he suffered burns to his legs and feet while trying to escape at 9:15 p.m. Monday.The fire spread, reportedly burning about 1,000 feet of the preserve on the south side of Charles Lindbergh Boulevard between the Long Island Marriott and Meadowbrook State Parkway. Uniondale firefighters reportedly extinguished the flames.The victim was taken to Nassau University Medical Center, where he was treated for his injuries.Storey is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday at First District Court in Hempstead.