first_img Reporters Without Borders deplores the risible fine of 15,000 vatu (120 euros) that a court in Port Vila, the capital of the South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu, imposed on infrastructure and public utilities minister Harry Iauko on 8 July for a physical attack on Daily Post publisher Marc Neil-Jones in March.“It is unacceptable that a government minister should get off with such a small fine for assaulting a journalist who criticized him,” Reporters Without Borders said. “The fine is not commensurate with the gravity of the crime and sends the wrong signal to all of Vanuatu’s journalists. We call on the courts to review this sentence in order to protect the media. Failure to do so would encourage journalists to censor themselves.”Neil-Jones was attacked in his office on 4 March by a total of eight men including Iauko. According to Neil-Jones, the minister accused him of writing “bad things” about him, alluding to articles criticising the minister’s handling of various issues and alleged embezzlement by Airports Vanuatu Ltd, an aviation company that works closely with the government.The seven other men involved in the attack were given fines of up to 1,000 dollars. ————Helped by thugs, cabinet minister beats up newspaper publisher07-03-2011Reporters Without Borders condemns a brutal attack on Daily Post publisher Marc Neil-Jones in Port Vila, the capital of the South Pacific island nation of Vanuatu, on 4 March. Neil-Jones accuses infrastructure and public utilities minister Harry Iauko of organizing and participating in the assault, which was took place in the journalist’s office.“Threats and acts of violence against a journalist who is just doing his job are unacceptable,” Reporters Without Borders said. “We warn Prime Minister Sato Kilman that his credibility will be questioned if this goes unpunished. We urge the police to carry out an exhaustive investigation without delay and we urge the prime minister to do everything possible to ensure its success. Otherwise he will be regarded as an accomplice to violence by a member of his government.”Neil-Jones said he was attacked and beaten in his office by a total of eight men including Iauko, who accused him of writing “bad things” about him. His newspaper has published articles criticising the minister’s handling of various issues. It has also raised questions about Airports Vanuatu Ltd, an aviation company that works closely with the government.After leaving Neil-Jones unconscious on the floor, Iauko went to editor Royson Willie and said to him: “Do you want me to break your face?”Neil-Jones has filed a complaint against the minister. Yesterday he said: “I can’t think of many countries where a minister of state would survive long if he marched into a national newspaper with a gang of thugs employed within the ministry and assaulted the publisher of a national daily paper because he didn’t like the valid criticism he was getting from all quarters, including the newspaper, members of the public through letters to the editor and Transparency International.”The publisher was previously attacked on 17 January 2009 by four police officers employed by the prison department. They were arrested but the investigation never established who was behind the attack. News News to go further June 10, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information In rural India, journalists face choice between covering pandemic and survival News Follow the news on Asia – Pacific June 7, 2021 Find out more Asia – Pacific center_img Receive email alerts News Organisation Asia – Pacific Mongolia : RSF urges presidential candidates to voice support for press freedom RSF_en Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists June 2, 2021 Find out more July 12, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Risible fine for minister who assaulted newspaper publisherlast_img read more

first_imgRelated posts:No related photos. BTEC diploma to arm managers for future needsOn 27 Apr 2004 in Personnel Today Previous Article Next Article A new qualification to improve generic management skills has been launchedby Edexcel – one of the UK’s largest awarding bodies – in partnership with theBritish Army. The BTEC diploma in training and operational management is designed forsupervisors and middle managers. It covers eight core subjects, includingworking relationships, health and safety and how to lead and train teams, allwithin a training and operational context. There is a choice of two units from a range of 12, including IT,investigation, stock distribution and receipt, and customer relationshipmanagement. Approved by the Qualifications Curriculum Authority, Edexcel developed theprogramme in partnership with the Army, but claims the new programme is alsoapplicable to other organisations. “This BTEC would ideally suit other public service or privateorganisations, as well as those in the transport, security and voluntarysectors,” said Sallyann Baldry, sector development manager at Edexcel. “It recognises the broad range of skills that you need to be aneffective manager in today’s world,” she added. Comments are closed. last_img read more

first_imgThunder forward Kevin Durant scored basically any time he wanted, posting 22 points on 7-of-13 shooting against a Lakers rookie (Anthony Brown) and an unproven defender (Nick Young). On one play, Durant even crossed over Lakers forward Julius Randle before performing an up-and-under over center Robert Sacre.• RELATED: Can LA’s young core entice Durant this offseason?The Lakers (4-23) lost to Oklahoma City (18-9) well before it was over. They shot 8.3 percent from 3-point range in the first half. They also posted 41 points, which nearly matched the season-low 35 they scored against Indiana last month. Afterward, Lakers coach Byron Scott reported telling his players “it was pathetic in every area” after finishing with their worst loss to the Seattle/Oklahoma City franchise.“Kobe’s fearless. These guys looked like they were scared tonight or intimidated,” Scott said. “We didn’t come to compete and they just played harder than we did. It looked like we were in awe of that team.” Amid Bryant’s absence, no one appeared ready to carry his mantle. Randle had two points on 1-of-7 shooting in 25 minutes off the bench. D’Angelo Russell posted a quiet 12 points on 5-of-13 shooting and five assists, and often did not have the chance to run the offense. But no one sounded thrilled with Scott questioning their courage. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error OKLAHOMA CITY >> The farewell tour came to a screeching halt. The Lakers’ losing stayed on schedule. Kobe Bryant missed the Lakers’ 118-78 loss to the Oklahoma City Thunder on Saturday at Chesapeake Energy Arena after feeling soreness in his right shoulder. But he maintained he “should be” healthy enough to play in Tuesday’s game against Denver.“It was logical to expect it to be sore at some point,” Bryant said after having what he called “heavy-duty surgery” to repair a torn rotator cuff last January. “I just have to get ahead of it and rest.”The Lakers felt pain in another way, and their problems might not be temporary. center_img Said Russell: “I can only speak for myself. I’m definitely not scared.”Said Randle: “We didn’t have energy. We didn’t play with energy. We didn’t play as a team. But we definitely weren’t scared.”The lone bright spots included Lou Williams (20 points), Jordan Clarkson (15) and Young (14). “It’s embarrassing,” Clarkson said. “I don’t know if I was scared. They just outcompeted us.” Everything circles back to Bryant, who is playing his 20th and final NBA season after experiencing three season-ending ailments in the past two years. But Bryant downplayed throwing down his first dunk of the season on Thursday against Houston.“I’m sure it didn’t help,” Bryant said. “It was (sore) before then.”But what if that causes Bryant to sit out more games?“It just means it was a more thunderous dunk than we all thought,” Bryant joked.Yet, Oklahoma City doctors determined Bryant’s shoulder soreness isn’t serious. He also does not plan to return to Los Angeles for any additional checkups.But even as Bryant spoke in a calm tone, he did not take his absence lightly knowing the pockets of Lakers fans that traveled here to see him for possibly one last time. “It helped me out a little bit because I know I’m coming back,” said Bryant, whose last game in Oklahoma City will be on April 11. “But I still want to make sure I’m ready to play for the rest of the games this season and make sure I’m healthy.”With how they played on Saturday, it appears doubtful the Lakers can recover as quickly. last_img read more