first_img Pakistani TV anchor censored after denouncing violence against journalists September 3, 2018 – Updated on September 7, 2018 China: RSF denounces the exclusion of a Japanese journalist from diplomatic meeting Help by sharing this information A reporter, sent to Beijing by Japanese conservative daily newspaper Sankei Shimbun on August 29th to cover the meeting between the Foreign Ministries of China and Japan, was suddenly declared persona non grata without given a precise reason at the request expressed by Chinese Minister Wang Yi. The reporter’s name was not disclosed. In response, other Japanese journalists who came to cover the meeting boycotted the event.”This arbitrary decision once again demonstrates how little Beijing is doing about press freedom,” said Cédric Alviani, Director of the RSF East Asia Office. “This sidelining appears even more absurd as the journalist was accredited to follow the delegation and that the Chinese authorities had granted him a visa.”In its annual report published in February, the Foreign Correspondents’ Club of China (FCCC) described the authorities’ growing relentlessness in preventing the foreign press from doing its job. In 2017, two photojournalists from the South Korean delegation were beaten by plainclothes agents while covering President Moon’s official visit to Beijing.Last week, the head correspondent of Buzzfeed News in China saw her visa renewal refused, as did a Swedish journalist in 2016, a correspondent of French magazine L’Obs in 2015, and a New York Times reporter in 2013.China ranks 176th out of 180 countries in the 2018 RSF World Press Freedom Index and has more than 50 imprisoned journalists. RSF_en News June 7, 2021 Find out more News Reporters Without Borders (RSF) denounces the Chinese Foreign Minister’s decision to exclude a Japanese journalist from a China-Japan diplomatic meeting in Beijing last Wednesday. Follow the news on Asia – Pacific In rural India, journalists face choice between covering pandemic and survival Receive email alerts News Organisation June 10, 2021 Find out more News Mongolia : RSF urges presidential candidates to voice support for press freedom to go further ChinaJapanAsia – Pacific Condemning abuses Freedom of expression ChinaJapanAsia – Pacific Condemning abuses Freedom of expression June 2, 2021 Find out morelast_img read more

first_imgThe Justin Fashanu Foundation is allegedly providing counselling for five secretly gay football stars in England.The players, including two from the Premier League, are said to be ‘recognisable names’ and have sought support from the organisation – which was founded and is run by Justin’s niece.Justin killed himself in 1998, aged 37, eight years after coming out as Britain’s first gay player. According to UK’s The Sun, the topflight stars have confided in some of their team-mates.The other unnamed players are also said to turn out for Football League clubs.However, since Justin’s passing, no professional footballers in the UK have come out as openly gay since.Justin’s niece Amal, 31, created the foundation last year and says that footballers will begin to reveal their sexualities over the coming years.She told UK’s The Sun: “No one wants to be the first. In their minds these guys are trapped, ashamed. They think society won’t accept it so instead they live their lives in secret.“It’s sad that this has to happen. But they would be a trailblazer,” she stressed.Amal also believes that football supporters would be more welcoming of gay footballers than ever before.She added: “The media would treat it differently now and I don’t think there would be a problem with fans.“One in ten men are gay so the idea there aren’t lots playing football doesn’t add up.Sportsmail contacted Amal for comment on the project.Justin was inducted into the UK’s National Football Museum’s Hall of Fame earlier this year.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more