Ukrainian media group harassed by broadcasting authority to go further September 7, 2020 Find out more RSF_en February 26, 2021 Find out more News The editor of an online newspaper, Oleg Eltsov, was victim of a second attack in less than six months on 12 January when one or two aggressors fired rubber bullets at him close to his home in Kiev before fleeing in a car.Eltsov, editor-in-chief of Ukraïna Kryminalna, was hit in the leg and body but was not seriously injured.”The number of assaults against journalists continues to rise alarmingly. We urge you to personally ensure that everything is done to find and punish those responsible,” said Reporters Without Borders and the Ukrainian press freedom organisation, the Institute of Mass Media, in a letter to interior minister, Mykola Bilokin.Eltsov was previously attacked on 24 July 2003 as he left his home. A police investigation produced no results but Eltsov believed the attack was linked to information on the Gongadze case which he received from a former police criminal investigator, Igor Gontcharov. The officer was arrested in June 2002 for his suspected role in several murders and he died in prison in dubious circumstances on 1 August 2003. A key witness in the Gongadze case, Gontcharov had accused police and ranking interior ministry officials of being responsible for the murder of Géorgiy Gongadze, political journalist and editor in chief of the online newspaper www.pravda.com.ua, who disappeared in 2000 and was later found dead.Under Eltsov’s editorship Ukraïna Kryminalna, frequently posts exposés about corruption, implicating top officials and politicians. UkraineEurope – Central Asia Organisation News Reporters Without Borders and the Institute of Mass Media condemn the latest attack on Oleg Eltsov, editor-in-chief of online newspaper Ukraïna Kryminalna, which posts frequent exposés about corruption implicating ranking officials and politicians. Receive email alerts Crimean journalist “confesses” to spying for Ukraine on Russian TV January 14, 2004 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Online journalist attacked for the second time in less than six months March 26, 2021 Find out more UkraineEurope – Central Asia Help by sharing this information News Follow the news on Ukraine Ukraine escalates “information war” by banning three pro-Kremlin media News
‘Transparent investigation’ The blast wounded a staggering 6,000 people, many bloodied by flying glass as the shockwave tore through the city and left a 43-metre (141 foot) deep crater at Beirut’s port.US President Donald Trump on Sunday called for Lebanon to conduct a “full and transparent investigation” into the explosion, but many have called for an international enquiry.Diab said Saturday he would propose early elections to break the impasse that is plunging Lebanon ever deeper into political and economic crisis.The head of Lebanon’s Maronite church patriarch Beshara Rai joined the chorus of people pressing Diab’s entire cabinet to step down over a blast he said could be “described as a crime against humanity”.The disaster has revived anger at a ruling class seen as living in luxury while millions endure job losses, deepening poverty, power blackouts and garbage mountains piling up in the streets.Politics in multi-confessional Lebanon is dominated by former warlords from the 1975-1990 civil war who years ago exchanged their military fatigues for suits, or by their offspring and nephews.While there are Sunni Muslim, Christian and myriad other groups, the most powerful is the Shiite Hezbollah movement. While it is not known what started the fire that set off a huge stockpile of ammonium nitrate, protesters say the disaster could not have happened without the corruption and incompetence that have come to define Lebanon’s ruling class.”Those who died paid the price of a state that doesn’t care about anything except power and money,” said protester Tamara, 23, whose friend was killed in the blast.The explosion devastated Beirut and took the lives of at least 158 people. The Lebanese army said Sunday that hopes had dwindled of finding anyone alive.”We can say we have fading hopes of finding survivors,” Colonel Roger Khoury, who heads a team of military technicians at the blast site, told journalists. The catastrophe has revived the mass anti-government protests that had for months demanded the wholesale removal of Lebanon’s political elite, until coronavirus lockdown measures brought an uneasy calm.On Sunday afternoon, hundreds gathered again in and around Martyrs’ Square, a short walk from the epicenter of the blast.Clashes broke out with security forces who fired tear gas to disperse crowds. Tear gas, rubber bullets Demonstrators had briefly taken over several government ministries the previous night, while security forces scuffled with larger crowds of protesters converging on the capital’s main protest camp. Human Rights Watch’s Lebanon researcher Aya Majzoub said some security forces had responded by indiscriminately firing tear gas and rubber bullets.”Instead of deploying the army to help residents clear rubble from their homes, businesses, and communities, the Lebanese authorities chose to deploy them and other security forces against protesters,” she said.The violence injured 65 people, according to the Lebanese Red Cross. Security forces also made 20 arrests, according to a group of lawyers supporting the protests. The August 4 explosion came with Lebanon already reeling from an economic crisis that has seen its currency collapse, plunging swathes of its population into poverty.On Sunday, French President Emmanuel Macron in Paris oversaw a UN-backed virtual donors conference to raise aid for the cash-strapped country.The world must respond “quickly and effectively” to the disaster, Macron warned, urging international cooperation “to ensure that neither violence nor chaos prevails”.In a joint statement issued after the conference, donors pledged the assistance would be “directly delivered to the Lebanese population”.New aid pledges were made while the embattled government of Prime Minister Hassan Diab took another hit Sunday with the resignation of information minister Manal Abdel Samad.Several lawmakers also quit and local media reported Diab was mulling announcing the government’s resignation. The revelation that Lebanese state officials had long tolerated a ticking time-bomb in the heart of the capital has served as shocking proof to many Lebanese of the rot at the core of the state apparatus. Topics : Lebanon’s political elite faced pressure from all sides Sunday after a deadly explosion blamed on officials’ negligence, with the first cabinet resignation over the affair and re-energized protesters vowing more action.As hopes faded of finding any survivors of Tuesday’s blast, social media was flooded with angry posts after a night that saw protesters briefly take over ministries in central Beirut.A picture went viral on social media showing the city’s devastated port, with a low wall in the foreground bearing the spray-painted message: “My government did this.”
Athletic Bilbao boss Marcelo Bielsa has snubbed two approaches from Chelsea, according to the Daily Mirror.Roman Abramovich is looking for another manager.It is claimed the 56-year-old ex-Argentina manager has dismissed talks with Blues owner Roman Abramovich’s representatives, insisting he does not talk to “people representing other people.”The Sun declare that Abramovich’s reign at Chelsea has cost him £2billion.And a number of papers pick up on interim boss Roberto Di Matteo’s comment on Friday that he has “no friends” at Stamford Bridge.Meanwhile, The Sun say QPR manager Mark Hughes has threatened to ban his players from using Twitter after Federico Macheda was hit with a £15,000 FA fine.On-loan striker Macheda was found guilty of using homophobic language on the social networking site and recently posted foul-mouthed comments after being dropped by Hughes.Related West London Sport story: Hughes rules out Twitter banThe Independent and Daily Express have interviews with QPR chairman Tony Fernandes, who again states that he will not jump ship if Rangers go down.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
The NSWTA State Conference aims to improve the delivery of Touch Football with a specific focus on our Affiliates and volunteers. Presentations are made throughout the weekend aimed to assist and enhance the ability of affiliates to provide a better product for our members. The Conference offers a tremendous opportunity to learn what other Touch Associations are doing as well the networking with members from across the State including Regional and State Officials.Delegates arriving on Friday, 25 July 2008 will be VIP Guests at the Vawdon Cup. On Saturday, 26 July 2008 a Blues Dinner will be held of which former Australian cricketer and commentator Kerry O’Keeffe. The Blues Dinner will recognise NSWTA best Affiliates, Regions, Administrators, Players, Juniors, Volunteers, Referees, Coaches and Selectors. The 2008 NSWTA Blues Awards winners and Hall of Fame inductees will also be recognised on the night.The nominees are:Affiliate of the YearSix regional winners and one State winner. SunsWagga TAKiama Juniors TA (Stingrays)Albion Park TA RebelsEast’s TAUNSW TABankstown Juniors TA MetsPenrith TALower Blue Mountains TABlacktown TA ScorpionsManly TARyde Eastwood TANorth’s TA HornetsPeninsula TAParkes TAWallsend TA EaglesGlen Innes TATamworth TAInverell Juniors TA Administrator of the Year John Ryan East’s TAJulie Andrews Wallsend TAElijah Van Der Kwast UNSW TALinda Bruce Glen Innes TA Region of the Year SunsHornetsMets Rod Wise Medal- Volunteer of the Year Kellie Johnston Wallsend TAChris Dolahenty Wagga TAGary Brickell Wollongong TA Coach of the Year Andrew Hawkins Wallsend TAPeter Forrester Canterbury TAMick McDonald Wests TAAnnette Mounsey Wollongong TA Selector of the Year Craig May Taren Point TABob Monkley Yass TAMel McMah Easts TATim Kitchingham Penrith TANatilee Sargeant State PanelMale Player of the Year Joel Willoughby Canterbury TAGary Sonda Canterbury TAJason Stanton Wests TASteve Roberts Canterbury TA Female Player of the Year Kristy Judd Easts TAClare Winchester Canterbury TANola Campbell Wests TALouise Winchester Canterbury TA Junior Male Player of the Year Ben Moylan Penrith TAMichael Singh Wests TANick Good Penrith TA Junior Female Player of the Year Nicky Albury Wests TAAmy Regal Wollongong TAStephanie Halpin Tamworth TA For all information regarding the NSWTA State Conference and Blues Dinner please visit www.nswtouch.com.au to stay up to date with developments.
The three-day event titled ‘Heritage Fest 2018’ is being organised by the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC) as part of activities to mark National Heritage Week under the theme: ‘One Love…One Family…One Heritage’. Story Highlights The Ranny Williams Entertainment Centre in Kingston will come alive with the celebration of Jamaica’s cultural heritage from Saturday (October 13) to Monday (October 15). The Ranny Williams Entertainment Centre in Kingston will come alive with the celebration of Jamaica’s cultural heritage from Saturday (October 13) to Monday (October 15).The three-day event titled ‘Heritage Fest 2018’ is being organised by the Jamaica Cultural Development Commission (JCDC) as part of activities to mark National Heritage Week under the theme: ‘One Love…One Family…One Heritage’.Heritage Fest is free to the public and will feature traditional Jamaican, Indian and Chinese cuisine as well as craft displays, rides, games, donkey rides, and nightly entertainment on Saturday and Sunday.Director of Events Management and Production at the JCDC, Gregory Simms, told JIS News that Heritage Fest is being revived by the Minister of Culture, Gender, Entertainment and Sport, Hon. Olivia Grange, to celebrate Jamaica’s rich heritage.“We really want to build on this heritage idea… Let us try to pull out the differences that we have that make us so unique,” he said.Heritage Fest opens at noon on Saturday with a Farmers’ Market where patrons will be able to purchase fresh produce.At 8:00 p.m., there will be a stage show featuring Richie Stephens and the Ska Nation Band with Friends in Concert, along with Wayne Marshall, Stranjah Cole and the Ruff Kut Band.On Sunday, patrons will be able to enjoy a Revival Time Music Festival beginning at 10:00 a.m., and at 5:30 p.m., there will be a Revival Bands Sing-Off Competition featuring Markland “Action” Edwards as the evening’s MC and gospel singer, Sis Pat as guest performer.Mr. Simms said that patrons would be allowed to participate in pop-up performances to showcase their talents, in the areas of dance, song or poetry.
zoomImage by WMN E.A. Temile Development Company of Nigeria Limited (Temile) has inked a contract with South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Mipo Dockyard (HMD) for one firm and one optional 23,000 cbm liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) carrier. “Whilst Temile has extensive experience in numerous sections of the oil and gas industry in Nigeria with particular interest in the offshore shipping and logistics sector, our entrance into LPG shipping is a new and exciting venture for us. We feel in very safe hands to have ordered a LPG carrier at Hyundai Mipo Dockyard and believe this will increase the local content of Nigerian investors in the LPG space,” Temile’s Chief Executive Alfred Temile said.According to S.Y. Park, the Executive Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer of Hyundai Heavy Industries, the order from Temile was secured under a competitive tender process in close co-operation with Nigeria LNG.The firm eco-design ship will be delivered within the first quarter of 2020 and then placed on time charter to Nigeria LNG Limited.Temile, a 100 pct Nigerian owned and managed company, ventured into the marine/offshore support vessels sector five years ago. The company’s fleet comprises of 16 offshore vessels all built within the last 5 years.
SURREY, B.C. — Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer says the prime minister damaged the integrity of Canada’s immigration system when he tweeted two years ago that Canadians will welcome all those fleeing persecution, terror and war.Scheer was asked about illegal immigration today at a town hall in suburban Vancouver held by the Surrey Board of Trade, where audience members applauded his response.He says people crossing the U.S. border into Canada outside regular checkpoints are “jumping the queue” and causing longer wait times for refugees and immigrants going through traditional channels.The federal government says 34,854 refugee claims were made by irregular border crossers between February 2017 and September 2018 and of those 3,142 — or nine per cent — have been accepted.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau recently warned people to be wary of fear-mongering about immigration, suggesting the issue will be a hot-button topic during the federal election campaign this fall.The Canadian Press