first_imgBRISBANE, Australia (AP): Milos Raonic got one back on Roger Federer to start the new season. After losing coach Ivan Ljubicic to the Federer camp leading into 2016, Raonic achieved something nobody else born in the 1990s has managed to do against the 17-time major winner – beat him twice. The 25-year-old Canadian broke Federer’s serve once in each set of a 6-4, 6-4 win yesterday in the Brisbane International decider, reversing the outcome of their meeting in last year’s final at the Australian Open warm-up tournament. Ljubicic was in Federer’s corner for the final. Carlos Moya, who will join Raonic’s coaching crew, doesn’t arrive in Australia until next week. He’s got a good base to work off, starting with Raonic’s eighth career title and only his second win in 11 matches against Federer. It was a boost coming off a troubled end to 2015, when Raonic missed the last three weeks with a back problem, having missed the French Open earlier in the season with a foot injury, parted company with Ljubicic and finished out of the top 10. “It does great things – it signifies within the team how concrete and good the work we’re doing is,” Raonic said of his win. “At the same time, with the difficulties I’ve had last year, it’s maybe a good way for me to show the other guys I will face going in Melbourne, you know, I’ve got my stuff back together and I can play some good tennis again.” Raonic attacked top-seeded Federer with his booming serve and forehand, as expected, but also went to the net 13 times in the first set and won 10 of those points to put him on course for the win. Federer, who went 6-5 in finals in 2015 – with all five losses coming to top-ranked Novak Djokovic – struggled earlier in the week with lingering flu-like symptoms, but improved with four matches in four days, including wins over Grigor Dimitrov in the quarterfinals and Dominic Thiem in the semis. Raonic “did well. It was a tough match – (my) legs were a little bit wobbly,” Federer said. “Still, considering the week I’ve had, I’m actually quite happy. That’s why I’m not down or anything or disappointed. “If I would’ve known I would’ve made the finals five days ago I would’ve been unbelievably happy.” BIG BOOSTlast_img read more

first_imgThe KIG JEEP Junior and Mentor Doubles Tennis Classic is scheduled to serve off on Saturday at the Liguanea Club, New Kingston, at 9 a.m.The Junior and Mentor programme is the brainchild of Llockett McGregor and is part of his mandate to invest in junior players on multiple levels.The concept, which began six years ago, was forged because of the apparent disconnect between juniors, seniors, and past players.Judith Denton, sales and marketing manager at KIG JEEP, said that they got involved in sponsoring the event because of the intent behind the tournament.”Kingston Industrial Garage is very pleased to be associated with an event that encourages ‘giving back’ and which has the potential for positive, lasting effects on the development of young tennis players in Jamaica,” said Denton.This unique tournament features amateur players (21 and over), partnered with young players on the junior tennis circuit, enjoying competitive action on the courts.The adult amateurs are meant to form a bond with their junior partners and will, hopefully, follow their progress on and off the courts, offer encouragement, advice, and continued moral support.”Adult amateurs select a junior’s name and they’re teamed with them as doubles partners. The mentors are expected to continue in the juniors’ lives, whether it’s on court or off court, providing moral support and encouragement,” McGregor said.Amateurs and juniors alike are invited to sign up to participate, by today, through their respective clubs’ notice boards, Tennis Jamaica, or directly with McGregor at the Liguanea Club.As part of its sponsorship arrangement, an extensive range of KIG’s Jeep vehicles will be shown at the event, and participants, patrons, and members of the Liguanea Club are invited to see and experience the brand at leisure.Trophies will be awarded to the winners and runners-up following the conclusion of finals on Saturday.last_img read more

first_imgMeralco ‘never the same’ after Almazan injury in PBA Finals Scottie Thompson also worthy of Finals MVP, thinks Cone The retailer has apologized and removed the image, but not before the ad was widely challenged Tuesday on social media as being racist and inappropriate.James posted a refreshed image showing the model wearing a crown. Diddy posted an image with a sweatshirt revised to read “Coolest king in the world.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSinger The Weeknd, who has a clothing line at the retailer, says he was “shocked and embarrassed” by the photo and that he would end his ties with the company.The Swedish-based company says it is sorry the image was taken. Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ LATEST STORIES Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Redemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie Thompson LONDON — NBA star LeBron James, rapper Diddy and other artists have responded with outrage to an advertising image by retailer H&M showing a black child in a sweatshirt with the words “Coolest monkey in the jungle.”ADVERTISEMENT OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. center_img Steam emission over Taal’s main crater ‘steady’ for past 24 hours OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ’a duplicitous move’ – Lacson Brian Heruela arrival bolsters Phoenix backcourt, defense Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next After Olympic deal, North Korea figure skaters may lead team Jiro Manio arrested for stabbing man in Marikina MOST READ View commentslast_img read more

first_img…“He lies too much!”Georgetown Constituency Six Councillor Andrea Marks on Tuesday convened a silent protest in the midst of an ongoing statutory meeting, calling for Town Clerk Royston King to be booted.Councillor Andrea Marks protesting in the midst of the statutory meetingMarks held up placards which read “Royston King must go!” and “Has Royston taken up from where Sooba left off?” as the Mayor and other Councillors were discussing city matters. Her protest comes on the heels of the Town Clerk’s decision to have vendors on Robb Street near Bourda Market cease selling because of a clean-up exercise without any prior notice.“I’m upset that he didn’t give these vendors any notice, especially those from my constituency. If we were given notice, there wouldn’t be a need to kick up a storm, but is the manner in which he is doing things. He needs to remember he is not the boss,” Marks said in an interview with Guyana Times Tuesday evening.She stated if the vendors were given notice, they would have been able to prepare themselves for the exercise. “Those people had perishable goods, all spoil because King just did what he felt like doing,” she said, adding that he should be given the boot for his “stupid” attitude.“He has to go, because he is lying too much and he is making the same mistake over and over,” she said, noting that King acted of his own accord and did not even inform the Councillors of his decision.“I didn’t even know until the vendors call and tell me they are being put out,” she stressed. Marks stated that King was “not a person that should be trusted”, because he was becoming famous for actions such as this.Vendors had stated that the Town Clerk, along with City Constabulary Officers, turned up and ordered everyone to remove their stalls and goods and vehicles from the area.“They never tell we anything. Royston King just come and shut the place down and tell everybody move out,” said one distraught vendor.The vendors griped that they had suffered hundreds of thousands in losses, since most of their merchandise was perishable.“I now come here, I ain’t even sell a load yet. All me goods gon spoil. Watch the plantain them getting black’ black, cause everything ga deh in the sun. The cassava ga throw way, it get blue. All that is money down the drain!” one vendor had complained.last_img read more

Nine hundred bags of rice, which we reported last week Cape Mount recently produced, are not a whole lot. Think of the tens of thousands, if not millions of bags of rice that Lofa, Bong and Nimba counties produce each year. But Cape Mount is special, is it not?It is, for three reasons: First, Cape Mount is one of the smallest of Liberian counties, with a small population—less than 130,000. Second, people in other parts of Liberia have always believed Cape Mountainians—the Vai, Mende and Mandingo—to be more tailors and carpenters than farmers.And thirdly, most Liberians consider Cape Mount people to be lazy. Remember that about three years ago children were reportedly dying of hunger in Dambala, Porkpa District? When a team of Observer reporters visited the town to get the story, they found it to be true. There was no food in the town.When our reporters asked why, the townsfolk said they had farms, but production was down. Our reporters asked to see the farms and were told that the farms were too far away, and it would take a day’s walk to get there. Our reporters took that to mean that there were indeed no farms, and therefore no food and that is why the children were dying.This dismal and disturbing story seems to be slowly changing. Cape Mount Superintendent Tenneh Simpson Kpadebah told Vice President Joseph N. Boakai and Agriculture Minister Moses Zinnah, during their recent visit to Robertsport on fishing matters, that her farmers had produced 900 bags of seed rice and needed mills and markets to process and sell them. That was the largest quantity of rice produced in anyone’s memory from a county whose people regularly buy bitter balls, greens and pepper from Monrovia’s Douala market.It is a great pity – is it not? – that with all her training and experience in agriculture, Ellen’s second Agriculture Minister, Dr. Florence Chenoweth, herself a Cape Mountainain, did nothing to empower her Cape Mount farmers to do successful farming.She probably forgot the Biblical injunction: “Charity begins at home.”The Vice President and Agriculture Minister Zinnah promised Superintendent Kpadebah that they would help Cape Mount farmers with mills to process the rice and connect them with buyers. We are here quickly reminded that toward the end of last year the farmers in Vice President Boakai’s own county—Lofa—found themselves in almost the same situation as Cape Mount’s farmers today. The Lofa farmers had grown nearly a million metric tons of rice and quickly found themselves in a serious and critical dilemma: there were no buyers for the rice, nor were there any milling equipment to enable them to mill their rice in preparation for sale on the market.The United States Agency for International Development’s Food Enterprise Development, (USAID/FED), which encouraged the Lofa farmers to grow the rice, failed to help them prepare for the post-harvest challenges, such as milling and market access. The farmers in their crisis, explained their dilemma to the Daily Observer. This led us to ask whether FED had deliberately set the farmers up for failure, and if so, why? It has been over three months since that crisis. The Observer appealed for the Agriculture Ministry’s urgent intervention, since the farmers had threatened that if they failed to receive help, they would be discouraged from returning to their rice farms this year.Until now it is not certain what the Ministry or FED has done in response to the Lofa rice farmers’ plight.We end this Editorial with a renewed appeal to Agriculture Minister Zinnah and to Vice President Boakai to reach out urgently to the Lofa, Cape Mount and all other rice farmers, help them with milling equipment and assist them in reaching markets with their rice. This would be a big boost to continued rice production. It would encourage our farmers to return to their rice farms in a determined and relentless drive toward self-sufficiency in our national staple.There can be NO excuses for doing otherwise. Remember what the World Bank said only yesterday about Liberia—that we are economically among the hardest hit countries due to the fallen commodity prices of iron ore and rubber. The Bank reiterated what we at the Daily Observer have for months argued editorially—that the only answer to our current economic plight is heavy and serious investment in agriculture and sustained and vigorous attention to our farmers. Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) read more

first_imgAfter a lengthy trial before Magistrate Faith McGusty, 30-year-old Ras Paris who was charged on March 31, 2017 for the offence of trafficking narcotics, will spend the next three years behinds bars after he was found guilty.Paris was charged for having 908 grams of cannabis in his possession on March 29, 2017 for the purpose of trafficking. He denied the offence and was released on bail.However, several months later, he was again before the court on a similar charge. On the March 31, 2017 offence, Magistrate McGusty ruled that there was enough evidence for prove Paris’ guilt. The prosecution had contended that Police acting on information went to the Paris’ home where they conducted a search and unearthed the cannabis concealed in a black plastic bag in the kitchen area of the home.Another set of the illegal items were found in an area behind the house.last_img read more

first_imgWest Indies touched down in Guyana on Tuesday night as they seek to keep their momentum from the Tests going into Sunday’s first One-Day International (ODI), which is expected to set alight the Guyana National Stadium, Providence.Homeboys Devendra Bishoo and Keemo Paul during their arrival in Guyana on Tuesday night (Clifton Ross photo)The squad minus big guns “Universe Boss” Chris Gayle and “Dre Russ” Andre Russell, who were part of the T20 Canada Cup and will be arriving soon, landed at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport (CJIA) on Tuesday night.Flocked by members of the coaching staff, commentary and logistics teams, the Caribbean side, fresh off a 2-0 Test series win over the Bangladeshis, will now commence a lengthy training session as they get themselves adjusted to the 50-over format.Guyana Cricket Board (GCB) Treasurer Anand Kalladeen, who was present to receive the team, said the return of international cricket to Guyana since 2017 was fantastic for the sport.He pointed out that while Bangladesh might not be highly rated, they were still a very dangerous and competitive cricket team. Kalladeen noted while Guyana has been doing well cricket-wise over the years, it is still an international competition-starved cricket nation, thus the two matches would play a significant part in the return of foreign cricket to Guyana.The GCB Board Member further pointed out that the GCB, as well as the country, and, by extension, the Stadium were fully prepared to host the upcoming scheduled matches. He added that while regional cricket was not the same as international cricket, the logistics and mandates of running such a schedule properly were always a priority.The team will commence their training from today at the Stadium and will continue their fine-tuning ahead of Sunday’s opener, which bowls off at 09:00h. The second and final ODI, the day-night historic match, will bowl off on Wednesday, July 25 from 14:30h.Meanwhile, tickets are on sale at the GCB head office on Regent Street, with the Green and Red Stands cost $5000 while the Orange Stand and Grass Mound tickets cost $3000 and $2000 respectively. (Clifton Ross)last_img read more

first_img“After the last consultation with many doctors, I’ve decided to stay away from football,” the Facebook post said. “As my time as a football player comes to an end, I would like to say few words.“I want to thank everybody for the kindness and support they have shown me in this incredible city, you will be always in my heart.”A spokesman for the club told AFP that Mahrez’s account had been hacked.“It was not a genuine post and we have been working with Facebook to get it removed,” he said.The post has apparently now been deleted.Leicester ran a feature on Mahrez on their website on Wednesday looking at the impact of the player this season, suggesting the Facebook post was a hoax.“Often found lurking on the shoulder of defenders, Mahrez has once again played his role as tormentor-in-chief for opposition players up and down the land this season,” the article said.Mahrez, 27, scored his first goal at the weekend since a protracted transfer saga over a proposed move to Manchester City, which resulted in a 10-day absence from the club.His stoppage-time free-kick rescued a 1-1 draw for the 2015/16 Premier League champions against Bournemouth.Leicester boss Claude Puel said Pep Guardiola’s City should have shown his club more respect in their late bid to sign the forward in January.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Leicester City forward Riyad Mahrez © AFP/File / Oli SCARFFLONDON, United Kingdom, Mar 7 – Leicester City confirmed on Wednesday that star forward Riyad Mahrez is not quitting football after a bizarre post appeared on the player’s Facebook page announcing he was retiring.The post said the Algerian was retiring after a medical consultation, prompting an outpouring of disappointment from fans but also claims it was fake.last_img read more

first_img FC Basel captain Marco Streller 1 West Ham have sounded out FC Basel captain Marco Streller over a move to Upton Park, according to Swiss newspaper Blick.The Hammers are frantically searching for a new forward following Andy Carroll’s latest injury setback and they are believed to have turned their attentions to former Switzerland international Streller.Blick claim West Ham are willing to offer the £1.1m-rated 33-year-old a two-year deal with the option for a third year, and the player’s representative Marco Balmelli has confirmed the Hammers’ interest in his client.Balmelli told Blick: “It is true that West Ham have approached us. Maybe Marco needs a new challenge again after seven years at FC Basel. It would be like a World Cup final for him.”It is also believed that West Ham will double the striker’s £1m-a-year salary if he moves to east London.Streller has scored 88 league goals since re-joining FC Basel from Stuttgart in 2007.He has picked up eight Swiss league winner’s medals and represented his national side on 37 occasions, scoring 12 goals.last_img read more

first_img Jack Price in action for Wolves 1 Wolves midfielder Jack Price has agreed to join Leyton Orient on an emergency loan deal.The 21-year-old, who has already enjoyed a loan spell at Yeovil Town in League One this season, will move to Brisbane Road on a 93-day deal.Price made 30 appearances last season for Wolves and has also turned out eight times for Yeovil this term.The midfielder is ineligible to play for the O’s in their Johnstone’s Paints Trophy match on Tuesday evening away to Dagenham & Redbridge.last_img read more