LONDON (AP):The IOC advised national Olympic committees yesterday to follow the World Health Organization’s (WHO) guidance on dealing with the Zika virus ahead of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, asserting its confidence that the games will be safe.Brazil has been hit hard by the mosquito-borne virus, which has been linked to severe birth defects in infants, raising concerns about the outbreak’s potential impact on South America’s first Olympics in August.The International Olympic Committee (IOC) sent a note to all national Olympic committees outlining the latest medical advice concerning the Zika virus, the most recent problem for a country already dealing with a severe economic crisis and a sprawling corruption scandal.”All parties are taking action to address this topic, and are following developments closely,” the IOC said.The two-page note from the IOC medical commission repeated advice for travellers to take precautions against mosquito bites and for women who are planning to become pregnant to assess the potential risks of travelling to areas infected with the virus.”The IOC remains in close contact with the WHO to ensure that we have access to the most up-to-date information and guidance, from now through to Games time,” the IOC statement said. “At the same time NOCs should consult with their national health authorities to get advice and guidance.”The IOC did not say the Olympics were threatened in any way and made it clear that it expects the Aug. 5-21 games to be secure for athletes and visitors.”We remain confident that there will be a safe environment for successful and enjoyable games in Rio de Janeiro,” the statement concluded.
Government has been secretly expending millions of dollars for several of its ministers to benefit from full-scholarship programmes.Junior Education Minister Nicolette Henry and Junior Infrastructure Minister Annette Ferguson are among those who received millions of dollars to pursue their studies in the United States and the United Kingdom respectively.Junior Education Minister Nicolette HenryHenry is doing her PHD in Public Health to the tune of $3.36 million, while Ferguson is benefiting from a $3.38 million scholarship in Public Policy Management.Additionally, Education Minister Dr Rupert Roopnaraine’s daughter, Alicia, is benefiting from a $2.58 million scholarship at a university in the UK. She is studying psychology.Other notable beneficiaries are former Chief Education Officer Olato Sam who is studying Education Policy in Jamaica, costing some $946,000 and a Guyana Chronicle Board Director Tabitha Sarabo-Halley who is currently pursuing Public Policy Management studies in the UK to the tune of $3.4 million.CSEC top student Elisa Hamilton is also a beneficiary of the government scholarships programme, but unlike the others, hers’ was publicly announced.Questions are being raised regarding the process used to select the beneficiaries of the programme and why Government did not, in the interest transparency, disclose that it is funding the studies of some of its ministers.Minister of State Joseph Harmon had disclosed to the National Assembly that Government has provided full scholarships to nine persons at the PHD Level, 75 at the Masters Level, 186 at the Bachelors Level, and 704 at various local institutions.On Wednesday evening, in response to a requested made by Opposition Chief Whip Gail Teixeira, Harmon submitted a list of names of all the persons benefitting from the government scholarships.
A TRAVELLER allegedly involved in a funeral fracas has appealed his bail conditions in order to travel with his family for the summer.Martin McDonagh (30), The Big Isle, Manorcunningham, Letterkenny appeared at Castlebar District Court last month along with his five brothers who were all charged with assault causing harm which allegedly occurred at a family funeral in Ballyhaunis on May 16.It is alleged that the brothers committed assault causing harm on their cousin Thomas McDonagh at Abbeyguarter, Ballyhaunis, at the funeral of Martin ‘Red Breast’ McDonagh. The brothers were given bail with certain bail conditions which included to comply by a curfew, surrender their passports and sign on three days a week in Letterkenny Garda Station.McDonagh appeared in court however to lodge an application to change some of the bail conditions to allow him and his family to travel around Ireland and the UK for the summer months.The court heard that if the application was successful the father of four planned to leave with his family.McDonagh told the court that because he was a member of the traveller community he had travelled around Ireland and the UK all his life.McDonagh told the court that if his children, aged 12, 8, 5 and 2, weren’t in school he and his family would travel all year round.Asking about McDonagh’s brothers’ plans to travel, McDonagh said they too would travel ‘if you agree [to similar bail changes].’Judge Devins said she was amazed that the 30-year-old was making the application ‘relying on your ethnic status’.Superintendent Michael Cryan told the court that Mr McDonagh had failed to appear in court four times over the past ten years and that once he leaves the jurisdiction An Garda Sióchána would have ‘no control’.Replying to this, defending solicitor Ms Cathy McDarby said her client could flee the jurisdiction if he wished, as is the close proximity of his home to Northern Ireland.Judge Devins made no decision on the application but said McDonagh could renew the application next month when he will appear again with his brothers.TRAVELLER ON FUNERAL FIGHT CHARGE ASKS FOR NEW BAIL CONDITIONS TO GO TRAVELLING was last modified: June 15th, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)