first_imgPragatisheel Samajwadi Party (Lohia) chief Shivpal Yadav on Sunday described the SP-BSP-RLD combine as an “alliance of crooks” and claimed that it would not be able to cross the double-digit mark in the Lok Sabha election.‘Mayawati filed cases’ Addressing a public meeting in Uttar Pradesh’s Sambhal district, Shivpal Yadav said: “(BSP chief) Mayawati, during her stint as the Chief Minister of U.P., had got cases registered against ‘netaji’ (Samajwadi Party patriarch Mulayam Yadav). She had unleashed atrocities on SP workers.” “And, now, (SP chief) Akhilesh had shook hands with the same Mayawati. This is not a ‘gathbandhan’ of the SP-BSP, it is ‘thagbandhan’ (alliance of crooks),” said Shivpal Yadav, who is the estranged uncle of Akhilesh Yadav. The PSPL leader said the SP-BSP-RLD combine would not succeed in the general election. “You will see that this alliance will not be able to cross the double-digit mark,” he said. Pointing out that the Samajwadi Party was fighting on 35 Lok Sabha seats this time, Shivpal Yadav said: “But when the reins of party were in ‘netaji’s’ hand, the SP used to fight on all 80 Lok Sabha seats.” He claimed that the PSPL was a bigger party than the Samajwadi Party, saying the former was fighting on 60 Lok Sabha seats in the State and on 27 seats across 11 States. “We will win 15 seats and be a part of the government at the Centre,” Shivpal Yadav added.last_img read more

first_imgMost, like the white mischiefgirls, don’t seem to mind.Last year, Indian Premier League (IPL) parties were big, glitzy, open house affairs where film stars danced with cricketers and cheerleaders. IPL after-parties, titled IPL Nights, were broadcast on TV and the media was invited. Mehr Jessia Rampal organised fashion shows organised, top-flight players put,Most, like the white mischiefgirls, don’t seem to mind.Last year, Indian Premier League (IPL) parties were big, glitzy, open house affairs where film stars danced with cricketers and cheerleaders. IPL after-parties, titled IPL Nights, were broadcast on TV and the media was invited. Mehr Jessia Rampal organised fashion shows organised, top-flight players put in an appearance and the then IPL Commissioner Lalit Modi preened. It’s another story that last year’s dos were blamed for the poor performance of several cricketers. So much so that when Chirayu Amin took charge of the IPL after Modi’s exit, the first thing he objected to was the ‘specially ticketed event’ leading to a ban on after-parties.In IPL Season 4, the parties have been banned-not for cricketers or the sponsors, but for the media. And for cheerleaders as well, ever since Gabriella Pasqualotto, 22, blew the whistle on the seamier side of the game, describing cheerleaders as “walking porn” and certain cricketers as “naughty”. Most top Indian cricketers now take the party elsewhere, smoking and drinking discreetly behind closed doors-away from the prying eyes of the fans and fanfare. The foreign players hang around disconsolately.Take the IPL party after the Bangalore match, where Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) beat Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) on May 13. It was the day after Pasquolotto had been sent off to Johannesburg, South Africa, for writing an all-too-frank blog. There were no young girls in hot pants. Cricketers Virat Kohli, Abhimanyu Mithun, Brett Lee, Jacques Kallis and Mark Boucher walked in a good three hours after the match and stuck together. Tilakaratne Dilshan and Chris Gayle didn’t dance with the girls as they did after the win on May 8.advertisementGabriella Pasqualotto has described cheerleaders asAnd it’s all thanks to “Gabby”, aka Pasquolotto, who is now fielding offers of a Bollywood movie and an Indian reality TV show. “We’re as good as grounded. Like little schoolchildren,” says a cheerleader referring to her former teammate from Mumbai Indians. In Bangalore, the girls missing from the party were the White Mischief cheerleaders, named after the vodka brand that belongs to Vijay Mallya’s United Spirits Limited. “We are in a country where we don’t know anyone. Why would we not want to go to a party and have some fun? What Gabby did was very unprofessional,” says a cheerleader for Mumbai Indians.”We do have people to look after us, but that doesn’t mean the odd sponsor won’t paw us at a party. All this ogling in public can be unsettling, but you get used to it after a bit,” says a cheerleader from Kings XI Punjab. IPL has sourced most of its cheerleaders from South Africa, thanks to their familiarity with cricket. “We all love cricket and that’s one of the reasons we were chosen,” says Denise Schoeman, 24, a White Mischief girl. Schoeman is a beauty pageant winner back home and this is her second season with IPL. Cheerleaders are reportedly paid 8,000 rand (Rs 52,000) a month.What about the ogling by the Indian spectators? “We have received so much warmth. We go shopping and buy saris, or go out for a meal, escorted of course, and I cannot tell you how much fun we have. We have absolutely no cause for complaint,” says Schoeman.Neither does Pasqualotto, who will return to India to attend the inaugural Formula 1 event in October. “My agent will talk later,” she said in an e-mail to India Today. “I cannot divulge details,” Amanda, her mother, said when asked if Pasqualotto had already landed film role. Who knows, she just might make it to the IPL Season 5 after-party as a star guest.last_img read more

first_img Recommended for you Exercise Design Training Workshop 22nd – 26th February 2016 HOA Opens, slew of Health Bills on Agenda; Key questions to Border Control Minister Related Items:Chikungunya, chikv, ministry of health, Portia smith Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppProvidenciales, 19 Nov 2014 – During House of Assembly debate his week, Minister Porsha Smith for Health and Human Services assured that more money from TCIG has enabled her Environmental Health Department to step up on its vector control program during this rainy season. Temporary officers have been hired she said in a ministerial statement and it was explained that there will be more messages on what to do to control both ChikV and Dengue Fever. While there is a call on the general public to partner on protecting from these mosquito borne viruses, no details were given on exactly how the Ministry or Department plans to deal with public education. Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Beautiful girls on Beautiful beaches, Turks and Caicos scores with Sports Illustratedlast_img read more

first_imgReliance Jio (RJio), the telecom arm of Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries (RIL), aims to acquire 100 million subscribers in the first year of its launch, even though the company has delayed the roll out of fourth-generation (4G) mobile internet services to the next financial year.While Mukesh Ambani wants the target to be reached in the first 100 days after the launch RJio’s 4G services, the leadership and analysts see 12 months as “realistic” timeframe to achieve such a figure.Earlier, the company had said that it would be able to offer 4G services by December, but it recently postponed the launch to 2016. The company has already spent Rs 100,000 crore in the venture and plans to invest a “similar amount” in the coming days, Business Standard reported.In what could to a major concern for other telecom operators, RJio is primarily aiming to bring existing high-value customers on its network, by offering “unlimited access to high-speed broadband services (4G or LTE) on a subscription-based model.”Some analysts said that RJio’s target of acquiring 100-million subscribers is “achievable”, taking into account its vast distribution network. It has access to 1,000 company-controlled outlets and one million distributors for recharge vouchers.RJio is likely to have robust infrastructure by the time it launches its 4G services, with 75,000 4G cell sites, 250,000 km of optic fibre and 0.65 million sq ft of data centre capacity.On the other hand, Bharti’s data centre subsidiary has a capacity of just 0.16 million sq ft, according to Deutsche Bank.So far, Airtel has not revealed the subscribers or revenue it earned after the launch of its 4G services in nearly 300 towns in August.Deutsche Bank Global Markets projects “RJio’s mobile business to have 94 million subscribers (15 per cent of smartphone users) with an ARPU (average revenue per user) of Rs 246 a month, implying 8.5 per cent of wireless revenue share. “According to Deven Choksey of KRChoksey, RJio is estimated to gain 100 million subscribers in the first 12 months of launch and an ARPU of Rs 500 per month, which would result in monthly revenue of Rs 5,000 crore.last_img read more

first_imgKamal Haasan hosts Bigg Boss Tamil 3.PR HandoutThe third season of Bigg Boss Tamil will be aired on Vijay Television in less than 24 hours. 15 contestants predominantly from film and television backgrounds will be part of the Kamal Haasan-hosted show. Contestants List: Vijay TV approached many well-known and lesser-known celebrities. Chandini Tamilarasan, Laila Mehdin, Sakshi Agarwal, Sudha Chandran, Premji, T Rajendar, Priya Anand, Kasthuri, VJ Siddhu, Radha Ravi, Prasanna, Powerstar Srinivasan, Sanjana Singh, Alya Manasa, Rachita Mahalakshmi, YouTuber Hari R Baskar, Kovai Sarala, Cheran and Vadivelu among many names were rumoured to be part of the show. Bigg Boss Tamil 3: Live updatesHowever, the latest updates state the below celebrities to be part of Bigg Boss Tamil 3.Vanitha Vijayakumar, daughter of veteran actor Vijayakumar, comedy actress Jangiri Madhumitha, actor-musician Mohan Vaidya, actor Fathima Babu, actress Sakshi Agarwal, actress Abhirami Venkatachalam, who will be seen in Ajith’s Nerkonda Paarvai, Malaysian actor and musician Mugen Rao, Saravanan Meenakshi fame Kavin, Srilanka model Losilya, budding actor Tharshan Thiyagarajah, actor Sarvanan, actor and filmmaker Cheran, dance master Sandy, Reshma Pasupuleti,  and actress Sherin are said to be taking part in Kamal Haasan-hosted show.As and when ever it is required, the channel will give wild-card entries to the show.In the first season, 15 contestants entered the house of Kamal Haasan-hosted show and four more celebs got wild-card entries. In the second season, 16 people entered the house and only one contestant was given wild entry.Meanwhile, the shooting of the inaugural episode of Bigg Boss Tamil 3 was kick-started on Friday and continued till Saturday evening. The show will be aired for the next 100 days at 8 pm.The contestants of Bigg Boss Tamil will be locked inside the house for the 100 days. Every week there will be elimination based on the viewers’ votes, but there are exceptions.At occasions, there will be no eliminations and sometimes multiple people might be evicted. A picture of Kamal Haasan in Bigg Boss Tamil 3 house.PR Handoutlast_img read more

first_imgTop terror Shahadat HossainHe’s been staying abroad for 12 years, carrying out criminal acts of extortion and intimidating people back in the country over phone from abroad. He even managed to halt the trial process of 16 cases against him by intimidating the plaintiffs and witnesses of the cases from abroad.This is none other than the top terror Shahadat Hossain. The fugitive criminal was awarded with death penalty in two cases while arrest warrants were issued against him in 13 cases. He has more than 200 general diaries (GDs) under his belt.Hiding in India for a long time, Shahadat is controlling the capital’s criminal activities and even giving interviews to the media, said police officials.They added that the government has requested India to arrest Shahadat as Bangladesh handed over a number of Indian criminals to its neighbour.However, Shahadat’s deportation is yet to be decided, they also said.Dhaka Metropolitan Police (DMP) commissioner Md Asaduzzaman Mia told Prothom Alo that they are trying to bring Shahadat back through the Interpol.If any family feels insecure or becomes victim of threat, the police will provide security measures, he added.Once vice-president of Bangladesh Chhatra League’s Shah Ali thana unit, Shahadat was a resident of Shinepukur Road in Mirpur’s Shah Ali area.The hardcore criminal used to be an activist of BCL Mirpur unit from 2001 to 2004. He came to talks in 1998 allegedly after killing a person in Gudaraghat area in 1998. Through this, he entered the underworld and murdered one after another as a professional killer. In 2005, he fled away in India after killing Aftab Uddin, a businessman of Mirpur. Since then, he has been living there.On 12 August 2005, a group of miscreants killed Md Shahidullah, 45, owner of Prince Group near his residence in Mirpur. A case was filed then accusing Shahadat as prime suspect. The investigation of the case is yet to be completed even after 12 years.Shahidullah’s family members said Shahadat has been threatening them to withdraw the case.Kazi Belal Hossain, brother of Shahidullah, told Prothom Alo that the main accused is yet to be arrested. The other accused who were arrested are now out of jail on bail.Another businessman of Mirpur, Aftabuddin, was killed by Shahadat in 2005. A case was then lodged with the Mirpur police station in this regard. After an investigation, Rapid Action Battalion (RAB)-4 submitted a case statement in 2007, accusing a total of 19 people including Shahadat.Afrozuddin, brother of Aftabuddin and also plaintiff of the case, said that Shahadat has been threatening to withdraw the case by his sidekicks.In the face of frequent threats, he sought security measures from the deputy commissioner of police (Mirpur zone) last week.Moreover, the witnesses are also leaving the area, Afrozuddin alleged.DMP deputy commissioner (Mirpur zone) Masud Ahmed told Prothom Alo that Mirpur police were instructed to provide Afrozuddin’s family security.In the face of Shahadat’s threats, Russell Hossain, son of slain businessman Farhad Hossain, filed a total of four general diaries (GDs).A group of extortionists shot Farhad to death on 14 April 2005. Police submitted a charge sheet accusing Shahadat and his accomplices in the murder case.Russell told Prothom Alo that he received a death threat from Shahadat warning him to give no testimony in court.A group of terrorists shot another Mirpur businessman Ripon Chowdhury to death on 18 June, 2006. Widow of Ripon told Prothom Alo that she has been receiving death threats from Shahadat for carrying the case procedures. Being intimidated, she no longer wants to take care of the case.When contacted, Mirpur police station officer-in-charge Md Nazrul Islam told Prothom Alo top terror Shahadat is now out of the country. “But, he masterminded several killings. We don’t see that much activities of his cohorts now. The plaintiff of a case applied to us seeking his security and we’ve taken necessary measures accordingly.”Allegations are rife that Shahadat threatened the plaintiffs and witnesses of nine murder cases. Prominent among them are BNP leader and ward commissioner Shawkat Ali murder case, satellite TV connection provider Shamsul Haque murder, transport worker Parvez killing and Mirpur businessman Abdur Rahman killing.When approached, Dhaka University law department professor and former chairman of Bangladesh Human Rights Commission Mizanur Rahman said rights activists have long been demanding for the safety and security of the plaintiffs and witnesses.“The state must ensure security for those who will testify in any case,” he added.*The article originally published in Prothom Alo print edition has been rewritten in English by Imam Hossainlast_img read more

first_imgWest Bank settlement. Photo: AFPIsrael on Wednesday approved construction of 1,958 new settler homes in the occupied West Bank, Israeli settlement watchdog Peace Now told AFP.It was fewer than the 2,500 for which defence minister Avigdor Lieberman said last week he intended to seek approval.It was the first tranche of settlement approvals since the controversial US embassy transfer to Jerusalem on 14 May, a move that infuriated Palestinians and intensified protests on the Gaza border, with at least 61 Palestinians killed in clashes with Israeli forces that day.Peace Now said that in Wednesday’s batch, around 700 units got final approval while the remainder passed the first approval stage in the planning process.It said that the majority were in isolated settlements outside the major “blocs” which the government will seek to retain in any future peace agreement with the Palestinians.Israel’s West Bank settlements are considered illegal under international law and are bitterly opposed by Palestinians.Peace Now said in a statement that there had been a leap in settlement-building during US President Donald Trump’s term so far, with about 14,000 approvals.That, it added, “is more than three times the amount that was approved in the year and a half before his inauguration (4,476 units).”last_img read more