first_img…as blame game continuesAs the blame game continues as to who is responsible for rescuing the 12-year-old girl who was allegedly abducted and taken to a “ganja” farm along the Berbice River, Police have been dispatched to the area.CC&PA Director Ann GreeneSocial Protection Minister Amna AllyThe story of the missing teen came to light after several sections of the media reported her mother’s plight in finding her. For months, the mother had been engaging the Child Care and Protection Agency (CC&PA) and the Police in a bid to find her daughter, but to no avail.On Wednesday after media reports surfaced, the mother said that she was informed that efforts are being made to rescue the teen. She, however, added that no offers were made to take along a close family member for the search.According to the woman, she went to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) during the day and at 16:00h she was told to return later in the evening for an update, but when she returned, the Police Station was closed and a padlock was on the door.Meanwhile, the CC&PA said that while it received reports of the missing girl, the mother was sent to make a Police report since it was the Police’s job to find the child.CC&PA Director Ann Greene, when contacted for an update on the matter, told Guyana Times that investigations were underway to determine what occurred. “I now have my officer investigating, so whether or not it’s really us, Probation or what, I got to find out; I’m doing investigations,” Greene highlighted.The mother of the missing teen told this publication on Tuesday that the Police in Berbice and the New Amsterdam office of the CC&PA were well aware of the issue, but had done nothing to actively pursue the matter. She claimed that she first went to the CC&PA and was told that the incident was a Police matter. When the media got wind of the incident on Monday, the Social Protection Ministry requested that it be given one day to pursue efforts to find the missing girl. However, after the story was reported in the press, the Agency embarked on damage control, with a senior official observing that other units involved in protecting children needed to be investigated. These entities are the Probation Office and the Trafficking in Persons Unit in addition to Police.Reports are that the woman’s daughter is being held by two adult brothers at a location in Berbice. The young lady was held along with a 13-year-old who reportedly escaped.They were said to have been held at a camp, where they were subjected to starvation, sexual assault and other forms of abuse.Meanwhile, the 13-year-old girl, who was rescued spoke with Guyana Times in the presence of two adults. She revealed that the ordeal was facilitated by a woman who allegedly moved her from the New Amsterdam Market under the pretext that they were going to collect money that the woman had for the girl’s father.This publication understands that the woman is the mother of the two males who held the girls in captivity.last_img read more

first_imgLetterkenny University Hospital has opened 10 beds in the Short Stay Ward today, but the campaign for full capacity continues, according to Sinn Féin Senator Pádraig Mac Lochlainn.The Donegal Senator has given a cautious welcome to confirmation that half of the beds in Letterkenny’s 20 bed Short Stay Ward are reopening this Thursday.However, Mac Lochlainn has criticised the government for not fully delivering on their assurances last year. The Senator today challenged the Government to explain why they announced the reopening of all 20 Short Stay beds last October, only for the HSE to allocate funding for five beds and support staff.Senator Mac Lochlainn said: “Last year, Sinn Fein members across Donegal organised a petition that was signed by thousands of local people, calling for the reopening of Letterkenny Hospital’s 20-bed Short Stay Ward. Throughout 2017 and last year, there was an average of around 20 people every day on trolleys at the hospital and it was obvious to see, the huge difference the reopening of these beds and this ward would have on the trolley crisis.“The trolley crisis also pushed nurses, doctors and support staff at the hospital into relentlessly impossible working conditions.“Last October, local Government Minister, Joe McHugh announced the reopening of these beds and Fianna Fáil claimed that they had secured this under “confidence and supply”. While this was welcomed by the people of Donegal as overdue good news, it quickly became clear that these promises and political claims were not backed up with the money.” Senator Mac Lochlainn said he was shocked by party announcement on the reopening yesterday, adding:“After much further investigation, we learned earlier this year that the Government and the HSE had only released enough money to reopen 5 beds, much to the frustration of the Saolta Hospital Group and the management of Letterkenny Hospital. So the Saolta Hospital Group allocated enough extra resources to reopen 10 beds and they are to be commended for this.“But for the Government or Fianna Fáil to now welcome this is astounding. Their political claims last year after the budget have not materialised and for Sinn Féin and the people of Donegal, the campaign to reopen all of these beds continues.”Short Stay Ward campaign isn’t over at Letterkenny Hospital was last modified: June 6th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgKlay Thompson subscribes. You can too for just 11 cents a day for 11 months + receive a free Warriors Championship book. Sign me up!OAKLAND — It appeared to be just another day for Klay Thompson, who spent the end of Warriors practice completing his shooting routine as he normally does. Before that, Thompson received some good news about his health.The Warriors (44-19) listed Thompson as questionable for Tuesday’s game against the Boston Celtics (38-26) after sitting for most of Monday’s …last_img read more

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest The overall forecast it unchanged in its basic form, as we are only making a few tweaks to this weekend’s late precipitation chance. We remain dry through most of Sunday with sunshine and blue skies. Temperatures will work higher today and even higher still tomorrow before pulling back a few degrees for Sunday as clouds build. We look for daytime highs of 87-92 today and 88-94 for the weekend, with tomorrow being the hottest day. Humidity will be climbing slightly too, so heat index values will be in the triple digits for at least tomorrow afternoon, perhaps Sunday.  The map at right shows high temps for Saturday. The temperatures shown to the southeast part of the state are over done because this particular model does not handle the elevation changes of the Appalachians well, and is overzealous of surface highs because of that. Still, its going to be warm! Scattered showers move into NW Ohio well after midnight Sunday night, and will impact most of the state through the day Monday. Rain totals are still not that impressive, and we will keep a tenth to half an inch as our overall range, with coverage at 60% of the state. The chances of thunderstorms stay over Indiana, and with out that threat, higher rain totals we don’t believe are likely at this point. Rain likely is done mid to late afternoon in many areas, but we may see a few showers linger in far eastern Ohio into the evening. The map at right chows rain potential for the state out of the system through Monday evening.Dry weather is back for Tuesday on through the end of the week. We won’t rule out some scattered showers each afternoon Tuesday and Wednesday (Independence Day) but we don’t think it will be wide spread or have any intensity. As the week progresses, temps climb back up into a range from 88-92 over most of the state, meaning we are above normal, but not as warm as what we expect this weekend.We are leaving the extended period completely alone this morning. We may have to keep an eye out for a few scattered showers with 40% coverage around the 10th, rain totals of no more than .4”, and then we are dry again for Wednesday the 11th through the morning of the 12th. A strong front remains in sight late in the period, for the afternoon of the 12th through the 13th, with half to 1.5” rains over 90% of the state. We swing back dry with strong high pressure building in for the 14th forward.So, nothing changes in our thought process this morning. We are very warm short term, and rains definitely fall off from what we have seen for most of June. But, the rains that we do see around have good enough timing, and the moisture we have in our soil profile is good enough, that we should make it through mid-July with only concerns, not any real problem. But…the pattern will catch the eye of the markets, sooner or later.last_img read more

first_imgRelated Posts CEOs in Troubled Waters (with Myriam Joire from… “Innovation” bubbled up a few years ago to join “synergy” and “thought leadership” as business buzzwords. Business leaders talked so much about innovating their companies that they eventually had to put their money where their mouth was: 74 percent established processes to spur innovation, and more than half hired chief innovation officers.Seeking innovation isn’t easy — it takes approximately 30 years to transition from proposing an idea to making a real market impact. But these innovation efforts pay off. Not only are consumers more intrigued by and engaged with innovative companies, but innovation is also profitable.However, most leaders are pushing themselves — and their teams — to dream up futuristic products and services, enabling them to outpace their competitors. Once-in-a-lifetime ideas rarely appear on command, and it would make more sense for most business owners to simply think of new ways to approach their industries — they can make a real impact in a market that’s primed and ready.Doing Real Estate a New WayWhile people have sold their homes without realtors for decades, the FSBO road hasn’t always been easy. Nicolas Jodin, the co-founder and COO of Beycome, tried to sell his first home without a realtor. “I realized almost immediately that hardly anyone was willing to work with a FSBO home,” he said.Seeing how for-sale-by-owner opportunities were treated was frustrating for Jodin. “All you’d find would be horrible and scary articles stating that this is the worst thing homeowners could do…almost as if selling your home — YOUR home — was the most ludicrous idea a person could think to do,” Jodin explained, “but it’s absolutely ridiculous — it is not a law that people need to use an agent to sell (or rent) their home, so why are you paying strangers 6 percent of your final sale (or 10 percent of your annual rental income) if you could do it just as well?”That led to the development of Beycome, a property listing online platform that makes it possible for homeowners to complete the entire selling or renting process online. The platform offers three types of listing packages; users provide details about their property, along with photos. They set their price, receiving two estimates from the software’s algorithm. The platform then helps automate the home showing and marketing processes; the platform also allows homeowners to review and accept or decline offers virtually. Once all parties have agreed, Beycome provides a digital contract that’s legally binding.This process takes out the middleman — the realtor — and ensures homeowners pay nothing in commission fees, saving more for themselves. The platform boasts a 96.5 percent sale-to-list ratio and has saved an average of $13,667 per sale. While Jodin and the team at Beycome didn’t come up with a new concept — FSBO existed long before the internet — they did come up with a new way to make FSBO opportunities more enticing for buyers and simpler for homeowners.Removing the Hassle From MovingAmericans move about 11 times in their lives, and 37 percent of people say they would move anywhere in the world for better career prospects. That means a lot of people are grappling with packing, setting up utilities, and finding new schools, vets, and healthcare providers.That realization led to the creation of InMyArea, a home services comparison shopping site. The platform was established to serve as a one-stop shop for consumers, who could compare prices and packages on everything from internet to home security systems. Consumers could then use the platform to purchase those services and streamline the setup process. InMyArea sought out partnerships with several well-known providers to make the process even easier for consumers, counting businesses like DIRECTV, Mediacom, Charter, Cox, and Time Warner Cable as partners.Michael Gleason, the founder and CEO of InMyArea, knows how difficult it is to move on one’s own, particularly with competing obligations, such as family, work, and school. “My wife and I had our first child when I was a graduate student 3,000 miles away from family, so I empathize with [those] who are starting their families,” Gleason explained.His company’s approach has garnered positive feedback: The brand’s data analysis and customer service have resulted in the highest rankings possible with the Better Business Bureau and TrustPilot. InMyArea examined a frustrating process for consumers — moving — and found ways for a third party to make it less stressful. Combining technology and data on the InMyArea platform allowed service providers and consumers to find each other more easily.These companies didn’t create new niches within their industries; they simply found new ways to manage their industries’ work. Innovation doesn’t have to be complicated, but it absolutely has to have a payoff — for both companies and their customers. A Review of Instagram Marketing by Matthew Lucas Bart Schachter Tags:#innovation 4 Ways You Can Make Your Workplace an Engine of… Bart Schachter is an investor, operator, and tech affectionado, with a passion for business operations, team building, product design, finance, and deal making. Bart has been an entrepreneur, VC, corporate executive, and turn-around operator. He lives in San Francisco and all his view are his own. Uber vs Lyft: Battling for Supremacylast_img read more

first_imgThe National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has questioned the District Magistrate and Superintendent of Police of South 24 Parganas district for the delay in submitting a report to the Commission regarding the death of two persons in alleged police firing in Bhangar in January. The deaths took place during a protest demonstration against land acquisition for setting up a power grid in the area. “Please refer to this Commission’s notice…dated 7/3/2017. The requisite report has not been received by the Commission [following] reminder dated 29/4/2017. The Commission has taken a serious view of the non-recipient of the report,” the NHRC stated in its letter on August 18 to the DM of South 24 Parganas.It further instructs the DM to submit the report by September 15. The development comes after a civil rights organisation, Akranta Amra, petitioned the NHRC on January 27.Bhangar has been tense for the last couple of months after the villagers started an agitation against the setting up of a power grid. The situation turned violent late on January 17 when two persons were shot dead during a clash between the agitators and police.last_img read more