first_img…as blame game continuesAs the blame game continues as to who is responsible for rescuing the 12-year-old girl who was allegedly abducted and taken to a “ganja” farm along the Berbice River, Police have been dispatched to the area.CC&PA Director Ann GreeneSocial Protection Minister Amna AllyThe story of the missing teen came to light after several sections of the media reported her mother’s plight in finding her. For months, the mother had been engaging the Child Care and Protection Agency (CC&PA) and the Police in a bid to find her daughter, but to no avail.On Wednesday after media reports surfaced, the mother said that she was informed that efforts are being made to rescue the teen. She, however, added that no offers were made to take along a close family member for the search.According to the woman, she went to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) during the day and at 16:00h she was told to return later in the evening for an update, but when she returned, the Police Station was closed and a padlock was on the door.Meanwhile, the CC&PA said that while it received reports of the missing girl, the mother was sent to make a Police report since it was the Police’s job to find the child.CC&PA Director Ann Greene, when contacted for an update on the matter, told Guyana Times that investigations were underway to determine what occurred. “I now have my officer investigating, so whether or not it’s really us, Probation or what, I got to find out; I’m doing investigations,” Greene highlighted.The mother of the missing teen told this publication on Tuesday that the Police in Berbice and the New Amsterdam office of the CC&PA were well aware of the issue, but had done nothing to actively pursue the matter. She claimed that she first went to the CC&PA and was told that the incident was a Police matter. When the media got wind of the incident on Monday, the Social Protection Ministry requested that it be given one day to pursue efforts to find the missing girl. However, after the story was reported in the press, the Agency embarked on damage control, with a senior official observing that other units involved in protecting children needed to be investigated. These entities are the Probation Office and the Trafficking in Persons Unit in addition to Police.Reports are that the woman’s daughter is being held by two adult brothers at a location in Berbice. The young lady was held along with a 13-year-old who reportedly escaped.They were said to have been held at a camp, where they were subjected to starvation, sexual assault and other forms of abuse.Meanwhile, the 13-year-old girl, who was rescued spoke with Guyana Times in the presence of two adults. She revealed that the ordeal was facilitated by a woman who allegedly moved her from the New Amsterdam Market under the pretext that they were going to collect money that the woman had for the girl’s father.This publication understands that the woman is the mother of the two males who held the girls in captivity.last_img read more

first_imgCHICAGO: Aging defendants are found guility in 10murders in organized crime case. By Mike Robinson THE ASSOCIATED PRESS CHICAGO – A federal jury held three aging mobsters responsible for 10 murders Thursday after an extraordinary trial that included colorful witnesses who exposed the seedy inner workings of organized crime in Chicago. A fifth defendant, retired Chicago police officer Anthony Doyle, was convicted of racketeering conspiracy but not accused of any murders. After convicting the four men, the jury began a second round of deliberations to determine whether the defendants were individually responsible for any of the 18 murders listed in the racketeering count, qualifying them for possible sentence of life in federal prison. Calabrese’s defense attorney Joseph Lopez left the courthouse grumbling that there was no way to give his client a fair trial. “I don’t think anyone charged with a case like this can get a fair trial anywhere, because of publicity prior to trial, because of shows that they make in Hollywood and because of scripts they write in Hollywood,” he said. “Al Capone is probably the most famous Chicagoan we have.” Movies and television often glamorize the mob, but the trial showed its devastating effects on real families, said FBI agent Robert Grant. “Our work doesn’t end here,” he said. “It’s just a continuation of a legacy of hard work.” Lombardo attorney Rick Halprin agreed that the Outfit’s reputation hung over the trial, but said the government did a “remarkable” job in organizing its case. “Mitch Mars and his team did a hell of a job of organizing this evidence, sifting out what they didn’t need; they’re due the credit for not overplaying their hand,” Halprin said. In addition to Tony Spilotro’s murder, Marcello was found responsible for the death of the victim’s brother, Michael. Witnesses said they were lured to a suburban basement where they were beaten and strangled at Marcello’s direction. The brothers were found buried in an Indiana cornfield. Lombardo, accused of being the capo of a Chicago mob “street crew,” was blamed for the September 1974 murder of businessman Daniel Seifert, a federal witness who was hunted down and shotgunned by masked gunmen. Joe Seifert, Daniel Seifert’s son, said he attended nearly all of the trial because he was a child when his father was killed. “I just wanted some information,” Joe Seifert said. “I never had a total picture, so I wanted the total picture – to fit all the puzzle pieces together.” He said he knows Lombardo will likely spend the rest of his life in prison, but “he’s had a lot of time free.” Calabrese, 70, a portly, bearded loan shark who according to witnesses doubled as a hit man, was found responsible for seven mob murders. Witnesses including his own brother, Nicholas Calabrese, said he strangled victims with a rope, then cut their throats to make sure they were dead. Ellen Ortiz said she has been “hoping and praying” for the day when Calabrese would be held responsible for the July 1983 murder of her husband, Richard D. Ortiz, who prosecutors say was killed because he had committed a murder not authorized by the Outfit. But she said it was a struggle to sit through the trial. “It’s been very hard, very hard,” she said. “It brings back all the memories.” But jurors, who confessed that they were hopelessly deadlocked, did not return verdicts pinning responsibility for one other murder on Marcello and six on Calabrese. Each of the jurors was asked by Zagel whether “further deliberations by the jury could not lead to a unanimous verdict on any of the issues on which the jury is divided.” They said it would be no use to go on. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! Jurors deadlocked on blame for eight other murders after eight days of deliberations in one of the biggest mob trials in the city’s history. Frank Calabrese Sr., 70; Joseph “Joey the Clown” Lombardo, 78; and James Marcello, 65, were held responsible for murder, raising the maximum sentence each faces to life. Jurors deadlocked on a fourth defendant, Paul Schiro, 70. Marcello, described by prosecutors as a top leader of the Chicago Outfit, was held responsible for the June 1986 murder of Tony “The Ant” Spilotro, the Chicago mob’s longtime man in Las Vegas and the inspiration for the Joe Pesci character in the movie “Casino.” The defendants remained poker-faced as U.S. District Judge James B. Zagel’s clerk read the verdicts one by one in a packed federal courtroom. All four men were convicted Sept. 10 of taking part in a racketeering conspiracy that included illegal gambling, extortion, loan sharking and the 18 mob murders, which had gone unsolved for decades. last_img read more