first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionIn early October 2017, Schenectady Mayor Gary McCarthy and a couple of candidates running for City Council came to my home campaigning. In conversation, I expressed a neighborhood concern. They all agreed it needed attention. The mayor had someone take the information down and told me he would look into the matter. On Oct. 21, I decided to send the mayor a private Facebook message to see when I could expect the matter to be resolved. I received no response. On Dec. 14, I called the mayor’s office and left a voicemail message. Again no response. On Jan. 3, 2018, I left another private Facebook message and got no response.I then called what I thought was the appropriate office at City Hall to voice my concern and was told: “I’ll pass your message onto the office that handles this type of matter.” I asked to please have someone call me regarding the issue. Again, no response. I also emailed two city councilmen and received no responses. Last but certainly not least, on April 19, I sent Councilman Vince Riggi a private Facebook message. Less than an hour later, he responded by telling me he contacted the appropriate office and would follow up with me.On April 26, Councilman Riggi updated me, and days later the problem was resolved. After thanking him for not only helping me but for all he does for the city of Schenectady, his response was, “Always my pleasure to serve Joanne. If there’s anything in the future, do not hesitate to let me know.”Mr. Riggi, you are an asset to the city of Schenectady and you know the true meaning of serving the people you work for. Your efforts are appreciated.JOANNE HWASZCZSchenectadyMore from The Daily Gazette:Schenectady, Saratoga casinos say reopening has gone well; revenue down 30%Schenectady department heads: Budget cutbacks would further stress already-stretched departmentsSchenectady NAACP calls for school layoff freeze, reinstatement of positionsSchenectady’s Lucas Rodriguez forging his own path in dance, theater, musicEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homeslast_img read more

first_imgBREAKING: Bringing with him 28 years of experience, more than 20 NBA players coached, and multiple NCAA Tournaments, Steve Alford becomes the 19th head coach in @NevadaHoops history.DETAILS: https://t.co/wJYXxG9kun#BattleBorn pic.twitter.com/sfZYH39qjK— Nevada Wolf Pack (@NevadaWolfPack) April 12, 2019Alford was fired by the Bruins in December after starting the season 7-6. He went 124-63 over six seasons, making four NCAA Tournament appearances. He previously coached at New Mexico, Iowa and Missouri State before taking the UCLA job in 2013. Nevada has named former UCLA coach Steve Alford its next head coach, the school announced Thursday. He holds a 509–269 career record as a head coach and has reached the tournament 11 times, though he hasn’t had a team make it to the Elite Eight.”While Steve led us to three Sweet 16 appearances, we simply have not been performing at a consistent level and our struggles up to this point in the season do not bode well for the future,” athletic director Dan Guerrero said in a statement at the time of Alford’s firing, per ESPN. Nevada hasn’t been searching for a new head coach for long. Former Wolf Pack coach Eric Musselman, who won 110 games in his four seasons at Nevada, left the program for Arkansas on Sunday after leading Nevada to the NCAA Tournament in each of the last three seasons. His Wolf Pack team reached the Sweet 16 in 2018, however, it lost to Florida in the first round of the 2019 tournament. “I want to thank Eric Musselman for four thrilling seasons with the Wolf Pack and for elevating the Nevada men’s basketball program to the top of the Mountain West Conference. We wish Eric nothing but the best moving forward,” Nevada athletics director Doug Knuth said in a statement Sunday.”We will immediately begin a national search for the next leader of the Wolf Pack men’s basketball program and will have no further comment until that search is completed.” UCLA hires Cincinnati coach Mick Cronin Chris Mullin explains decision to step down as St. John’s coach Related Newslast_img read more