first_imgBRISBANE, Australia (AP): Milos Raonic got one back on Roger Federer to start the new season. After losing coach Ivan Ljubicic to the Federer camp leading into 2016, Raonic achieved something nobody else born in the 1990s has managed to do against the 17-time major winner – beat him twice. The 25-year-old Canadian broke Federer’s serve once in each set of a 6-4, 6-4 win yesterday in the Brisbane International decider, reversing the outcome of their meeting in last year’s final at the Australian Open warm-up tournament. Ljubicic was in Federer’s corner for the final. Carlos Moya, who will join Raonic’s coaching crew, doesn’t arrive in Australia until next week. He’s got a good base to work off, starting with Raonic’s eighth career title and only his second win in 11 matches against Federer. It was a boost coming off a troubled end to 2015, when Raonic missed the last three weeks with a back problem, having missed the French Open earlier in the season with a foot injury, parted company with Ljubicic and finished out of the top 10. “It does great things – it signifies within the team how concrete and good the work we’re doing is,” Raonic said of his win. “At the same time, with the difficulties I’ve had last year, it’s maybe a good way for me to show the other guys I will face going in Melbourne, you know, I’ve got my stuff back together and I can play some good tennis again.” Raonic attacked top-seeded Federer with his booming serve and forehand, as expected, but also went to the net 13 times in the first set and won 10 of those points to put him on course for the win. Federer, who went 6-5 in finals in 2015 – with all five losses coming to top-ranked Novak Djokovic – struggled earlier in the week with lingering flu-like symptoms, but improved with four matches in four days, including wins over Grigor Dimitrov in the quarterfinals and Dominic Thiem in the semis. Raonic “did well. It was a tough match – (my) legs were a little bit wobbly,” Federer said. “Still, considering the week I’ve had, I’m actually quite happy. That’s why I’m not down or anything or disappointed. “If I would’ve known I would’ve made the finals five days ago I would’ve been unbelievably happy.” BIG BOOSTlast_img read more

first_imgLetterkenny University Hospital has opened 10 beds in the Short Stay Ward today, but the campaign for full capacity continues, according to Sinn Féin Senator Pádraig Mac Lochlainn.The Donegal Senator has given a cautious welcome to confirmation that half of the beds in Letterkenny’s 20 bed Short Stay Ward are reopening this Thursday.However, Mac Lochlainn has criticised the government for not fully delivering on their assurances last year. The Senator today challenged the Government to explain why they announced the reopening of all 20 Short Stay beds last October, only for the HSE to allocate funding for five beds and support staff.Senator Mac Lochlainn said: “Last year, Sinn Fein members across Donegal organised a petition that was signed by thousands of local people, calling for the reopening of Letterkenny Hospital’s 20-bed Short Stay Ward. Throughout 2017 and last year, there was an average of around 20 people every day on trolleys at the hospital and it was obvious to see, the huge difference the reopening of these beds and this ward would have on the trolley crisis.“The trolley crisis also pushed nurses, doctors and support staff at the hospital into relentlessly impossible working conditions.“Last October, local Government Minister, Joe McHugh announced the reopening of these beds and Fianna Fáil claimed that they had secured this under “confidence and supply”. While this was welcomed by the people of Donegal as overdue good news, it quickly became clear that these promises and political claims were not backed up with the money.” Senator Mac Lochlainn said he was shocked by party announcement on the reopening yesterday, adding:“After much further investigation, we learned earlier this year that the Government and the HSE had only released enough money to reopen 5 beds, much to the frustration of the Saolta Hospital Group and the management of Letterkenny Hospital. So the Saolta Hospital Group allocated enough extra resources to reopen 10 beds and they are to be commended for this.“But for the Government or Fianna Fáil to now welcome this is astounding. Their political claims last year after the budget have not materialised and for Sinn Féin and the people of Donegal, the campaign to reopen all of these beds continues.”Short Stay Ward campaign isn’t over at Letterkenny Hospital was last modified: June 6th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgFortuna >> Fortuna head coach Mike Benbow cherishes football practice on Thanksgiving as much as anybody in the Friendly City.What about practicing on the first day of December?Well, that’s just music to the ears of anybody in Husky blue.Fortuna, fresh off its first December practice, will try for the program’s North Coast Section title in nearly two decades tonight, as the fourth-seeded Huskies face No. 7 Hercules in the Division IV championship game at McKinleyville High School. …last_img read more

first_img13 May 2016At WEF Africa 2016 in Kigali, Rwanda, Ugandan journalist Nancy Kacungira asked the audience just how many of the cars, clothes or coffees they drink has a label that says “Made in Africa”. Not many.There may be one-billion people living in Africa but its production output is just 1.5%. She said leaders are trying to change this with some success, but there are some challenges.Kacungira speaks to Namibian entrepreneur Ally Angula, Dutch businessman Johan C. Aurik and the CEO of the Industrial Development Corporation in South Africa, Geoffrey Qhena, on the future of production in Africa.They address the way new technologies are transforming the world’s manufacturing systems, how governments can facilitate home-grown innovation and what Africa’s role will be in the fourth industrial revolution.South Africa.info reporterlast_img read more