Reliance Jio (RJio), the telecom arm of Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries (RIL), aims to acquire 100 million subscribers in the first year of its launch, even though the company has delayed the roll out of fourth-generation (4G) mobile internet services to the next financial year.While Mukesh Ambani wants the target to be reached in the first 100 days after the launch RJio’s 4G services, the leadership and analysts see 12 months as “realistic” timeframe to achieve such a figure.Earlier, the company had said that it would be able to offer 4G services by December, but it recently postponed the launch to 2016. The company has already spent Rs 100,000 crore in the venture and plans to invest a “similar amount” in the coming days, Business Standard reported.In what could to a major concern for other telecom operators, RJio is primarily aiming to bring existing high-value customers on its network, by offering “unlimited access to high-speed broadband services (4G or LTE) on a subscription-based model.”Some analysts said that RJio’s target of acquiring 100-million subscribers is “achievable”, taking into account its vast distribution network. It has access to 1,000 company-controlled outlets and one million distributors for recharge vouchers.RJio is likely to have robust infrastructure by the time it launches its 4G services, with 75,000 4G cell sites, 250,000 km of optic fibre and 0.65 million sq ft of data centre capacity.On the other hand, Bharti’s data centre subsidiary has a capacity of just 0.16 million sq ft, according to Deutsche Bank.So far, Airtel has not revealed the subscribers or revenue it earned after the launch of its 4G services in nearly 300 towns in August.Deutsche Bank Global Markets projects “RJio’s mobile business to have 94 million subscribers (15 per cent of smartphone users) with an ARPU (average revenue per user) of Rs 246 a month, implying 8.5 per cent of wireless revenue share. “According to Deven Choksey of KRChoksey, RJio is estimated to gain 100 million subscribers in the first 12 months of launch and an ARPU of Rs 500 per month, which would result in monthly revenue of Rs 5,000 crore.
Indian stock markets ended in the red Tuesday dragged by a fall in Asian equities on account of Japan’s central bank keeping prevailing negative interest rates unchanged after its meeting the same day. The S&P BSE Sensex slumped more than a percent to close at 24,551, down 253 points, while the 50-scrip NSE Nifty settled at 7,461, a loss of 78 points, or 1.04 percent. The biggest loser on the Sensex was Lupin which fell sharply in trade in response to the company informing the stock exchanges that the US Food and Drug Administration (USFDA) has made nine observations after inspecting its Goa facility. The stock closed at Rs 1,726, down 7.59 percent from its previous close. Other stocks that pulled the Sensex down included HDFC, Dr Reddy’s Labs, Cipla, Sun Pharma and ITC. Gainers on the Sensex included State Bank of India, Tata Steel, Bharti Airtel and Axis Bank. The US Federal Reserve’s two-day meeting that begins Tuesday (March 15) would be a significant trigger for Indian stock markets on Wednesday. The Fed is expected to keep short-term interest rates on hold in view of global uncertainties, after having raised the benchmark rates from almost zero to 0.25-0.50 percent in December last year.The markets shrugged off retail inflation data released late Monday after market hours. Retail inflation was down to 5.18 percent in February from a 17-month high in the previous month.The easing of retail inflation is being seen as providing enough space for the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to cut the repo rate.”For the time being, a disciplined fiscal stance, larger than expected decline in IIP and a drop in CPI inflation have converged, and we continue to expect that the RBI will cut the policy repo rate by 25bp to 6.5% at its upcoming policy meeting (5 April),” HSBC Global Research said in a note.
In this photo taken on January 10, 2017, start-up companies work out of Nasscom’s Startup Warehouse facility, which incubates start-up tech companies, in Bangalore.MANJUNATH KIRAN/AFP/Getty ImagesThe Indian startup and e-commerce segment is witnessing a huge demand in the senior talent hiring. Two of the largest growing sectors in the country are on a hiring spree when it comes to leadership positions. The sudden rise in the headhunting has been driven by multiple factors such as an improved funding scenario, increased M&A activity, increased mobile data consumption and the creative e-commerce and transaction models.The Economic Times reported that as against last year, companies like Amazon, Flipkart, Swiggy, Paytm, OYO, Ola or Zomato has witnessed a 40-100% jump in such mandates. The start-ups, especially in the e-commerce sector, have managed to raise capital through series A and series B funding which has given them a leeway to hire talents.Anuj Roy, managing partner, FIDIUS Advisory said that “Online sector hiring has picked up big time.” He went on to add that his agency is presently managing 13-14 mandates for senior talent, compared to seven-eight last in 2017.Similarly, Bengaluru headquartered Longhouse Consulting is reported to have doubled their mandate. A quarter ago the company was managing 30 mandates as compared to 75 at the moment. The major part of mandate belongs to the e-commerce segment. The last 6-7 has reported a hike in the hiring with industry estimates suggesting around 350-400-plus senior hires across the e-commerce and startup ecosystem.Notably, last week there were major hiring in these sectors with OYO Hotels appointing ex-IndiGo president Aditya Ghosh as CEO for India and South-Asia; Flipkart getting Smriti Singh as human resources head; MakeMyTrip hiring Vipul Prakash as the chief operating officer (COO). Moreover, Rahul Bhargava was hired as chief technology officer (CTO), InCred and Freshworks made two senior-level appointments.Roy said that “A lot of such companies are now building their teams because once you raise that much capital, you move from a startup culture to a professional-led one.” Seed funded companies, as well as unicorns, are aggressively looking out top talents.Speaking about its hiring plans for the coming months, Girish Menon, VP, HR at Swiggy said that “In the coming months, we will be doubling down on hiring the sharpest minds in the industry for senior roles in departments such as business, sales and technology, and for highly specialized roles in areas such data sciences and AI.”
Michael Stravato for The Texas TribuneJeremy Boutor removes personal items on an air mattress from his home in a neighborhood along Eldridge Parkway, flooded by waters released from Addicks Reservoir on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017, adding to flooding from Hurricane Harvey.The U.S. House of Representatives passed a major disaster relief bill Monday evening, concluding a series of dramatic delays in Congress and sending the legislation to the desk of President Trump.The $19.1 billion bill, which Trump is expected to sign, would allocate funding to nine disaster-affected states and two territories, and also release more than $4 billion to Texas that Congress allocated more than a year ago in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. After meeting unexpected resistance in the House that stalled the vote for 11 days, the bill at last broke through Monday by an overwhelming, bipartisan margin of 354-58.The bill passed in the U.S. Senate just before the Memorial Day recess but hit an obstacle when it reached the House floor. Most members had already left Washington for the holiday. Backers of the legislation had hoped to push it through on a voice vote before the recess. These efforts were thwarted by U.S. Rep. Chip Roy, an Austin Republican, who drew national attention for his blocking of the vote by using a procedural objection. Two other conservative House members later made similar objections, ensuring that Congress couldn’t send the bill to Trump until after the recess.The resistance in the House appeared to come as a surprise to Senate Republicans, including Texan John Cornyn, whose contributions were instrumental in breaking the Senate logjam and applying pressure on the White House to take swift action. A key provision of the bill is a White House “shot clock,” implemented by Cornyn, which would require the Office of Management and Budget to release more than $4 billion in disaster aid owed to Texas within a 90-day window.Given the bipartisan support for natural disaster relief, securing relief funding has proved surprisingly difficult in recent years. The new bill was pushed through Congress only after the Trump administration dropped demands that the package exclude disaster aid for Puerto Rico and include allocations for the Department of Homeland Security to address the migrant crisis at the border.And for Texas, the forestalled success of the new bill caps a prolonged struggle by the state’s delegation to secure aid promised over a year ago. After Congress approved more than $16 billion in disaster relief funds in early 2018, efforts by Texas representatives to secure the state’s share have been frustrated by bureaucratic hurdles in OMB and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Most recently, U.S. Rep. Lizzie Pannill Fletcher, a Houston Democrat, and U.S. Rep. Randy Weber, a Friendswood Republican, introduced a bill with similar language to Cornyn’s provision demanding that HUD release the long overdue $4 billion to Houston-area districts still recovering from Hurricane Harvey.Local advocates for communities still recovering from Hurricane Harvey expressed frustration at yet another delay in the federal funds. Hurricane season started on June 1 and coastal communities in Texas are already seeing flooding amid strong recent storms.Even with the addition of Cornyn’s “shot clock,” the wait for disaster relief funding will continue. If President Trump signs the bill immediately, OMB will not have to release its funding until late summer, after the worst of hurricane season has already passed.This post was originally published by The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan media organization that informs Texans — and engages with them — about public policy, politics, government and statewide issues. Share
Explore further Citation: Intel’s Atom CE 4100 SoC Will Transform Internet TV (w/ Video) (2009, September 25) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2009-09-intel-atom-ce-soc-internet.html This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. Dell Talking About 80-Core Chip Processor The new Atom processor is part of Intel’s new family of media processors. Formerly codenamed “Sodaville,” the new chip is the first 45nm-based System-on-Chip to be designed on Intel’s architecture.The CE4100 replaces Intel’s former CE 3100 processor which is an older Pentium core processor. Intel’s newest Atom processor core is expected to reach speeds of about 1.2GHz and offer support for a range of industry standards. Intel is also teaming up with Adobe to provide support for the Adobe Flash Player 10 on Intel’s family of CE media processors. The new CE4100 SoC also provides MPEG-4 support, 3D graphics capability, high-end audio and can also capture uncompressed 1080p video. (PhysOrg.com) — At the IDF event, in Santa Clara, California, Intel announced the debut of their newest System-on-Chip (SoC), the Intel Atom processor CE4100. The CE4100 SoC is designed exclusively to facilitate Internet content and other services to digital TVs, Blu-ray players and other entertainment devices. At the IDF event, in Santa Clara, California, Intel’s Eric Kim (Sr. VP of Intel Corporation’s Digital Home Group) commented: “The architecture of Intel media processors provides a powerful and innovative platform to showcase Flash-based applications in a vivid way. Flash Player 10 combined with the performance of the Intel media processor and its support for standards such as OpenGL ES 2.0 offers a compelling environment for Flash-based games, videos and other rich Web content and applications.”The chip also features an integrated NAND controller, along with support for DDR2 and DDR3 memory, which will provide a choice to developers of digital TVs and set-top boxes. It is not certain when the Atom CE4100-based devices will reach the market, however Intel has promised some hardware demos from its partners.© 2009 PhysOrg.com