first_imgLetterkenny University Hospital has opened 10 beds in the Short Stay Ward today, but the campaign for full capacity continues, according to Sinn Féin Senator Pádraig Mac Lochlainn.The Donegal Senator has given a cautious welcome to confirmation that half of the beds in Letterkenny’s 20 bed Short Stay Ward are reopening this Thursday.However, Mac Lochlainn has criticised the government for not fully delivering on their assurances last year. The Senator today challenged the Government to explain why they announced the reopening of all 20 Short Stay beds last October, only for the HSE to allocate funding for five beds and support staff.Senator Mac Lochlainn said: “Last year, Sinn Fein members across Donegal organised a petition that was signed by thousands of local people, calling for the reopening of Letterkenny Hospital’s 20-bed Short Stay Ward. Throughout 2017 and last year, there was an average of around 20 people every day on trolleys at the hospital and it was obvious to see, the huge difference the reopening of these beds and this ward would have on the trolley crisis.“The trolley crisis also pushed nurses, doctors and support staff at the hospital into relentlessly impossible working conditions.“Last October, local Government Minister, Joe McHugh announced the reopening of these beds and Fianna Fáil claimed that they had secured this under “confidence and supply”. While this was welcomed by the people of Donegal as overdue good news, it quickly became clear that these promises and political claims were not backed up with the money.” Senator Mac Lochlainn said he was shocked by party announcement on the reopening yesterday, adding:“After much further investigation, we learned earlier this year that the Government and the HSE had only released enough money to reopen 5 beds, much to the frustration of the Saolta Hospital Group and the management of Letterkenny Hospital. So the Saolta Hospital Group allocated enough extra resources to reopen 10 beds and they are to be commended for this.“But for the Government or Fianna Fáil to now welcome this is astounding. Their political claims last year after the budget have not materialised and for Sinn Féin and the people of Donegal, the campaign to reopen all of these beds continues.”Short Stay Ward campaign isn’t over at Letterkenny Hospital was last modified: June 6th, 2019 by Staff WriterShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

first_imgAthletic Bilbao boss Marcelo Bielsa has snubbed two approaches from Chelsea, according to the Daily Mirror.Roman Abramovich is looking for another manager.It is claimed the 56-year-old ex-Argentina manager has dismissed talks with Blues owner Roman Abramovich’s representatives, insisting he does not talk to “people representing other people.”The Sun declare that Abramovich’s reign at Chelsea has cost him £2billion.And a number of papers pick up on interim boss Roberto Di Matteo’s comment on Friday that he has “no friends” at Stamford Bridge.Meanwhile, The Sun say QPR manager Mark Hughes has threatened to ban his players from using Twitter after Federico Macheda was hit with a £15,000 FA fine.On-loan  striker Macheda was found guilty of using homophobic language on the social networking site and recently posted foul-mouthed comments after being dropped by Hughes.Related West London Sport story: Hughes rules out Twitter banThe Independent and Daily Express have interviews with QPR chairman Tony Fernandes, who again states that he will not jump ship if Rangers go down.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

first_imgIn 72 hours College of the Redwoods men’s basketball has matched its win total from the previous two seasons, combined.Thomas Nelson hit four 3-pointers in the first-quarter and finished with five and 36 points, leading Redwoods to a 75-66 win over Monterey Peninsula College Saturday morning on the final day of the San Jose Tipoff tournament in San Jose.Nelson scored 23 of his 36 points in the first-half, 18 of them coming in the first-quarter.“We knew as soon as he woke up that (Nelson) was …last_img read more

first_imgThe Sandton CBD will be closed to cars during the month-long EcoMobility World Festival over October. Instead, people will be encouraged to use public transport, cycle and walk. Johannesburg hopes they will see the benefits of going car-free and that there will be a permanent shift. This image is a rendering of the Garden Court precinct in Sandton and how it would look like if people used less motorised means of transportation. (Image: EcoMobility Festival) • Active citizenship in South Africa at a healthy level • Research backs up South Africa’s good story • Africans abroad keen to return – Homecoming Revolution report • What African universities can do to attract academics back from the diaspora • The Conversation goes live in Africa Ray MaotaSouth Africa has a vision for its future known as the National Development Plan (NDP) or Vision 2030. To support national growth and development targets, Johannesburg, as the economic hub of the country, has developed its Growth and Development Strategy (GDS) 2040.With the start of the EcoMobility World Festival on 1 October in Sandton, the north-eastern business hub of Johannesburg, both Vision 2030 and the GDS come together. The festival runs from 1 October to 30 October 2015.The EcoMobility World Festival will enable residents and visitors to experience a car-free precinct of the future. A core area of the Sandton CBD will be closed to regular traffic for the duration of the festival. A comprehensive traffic management plan is in place to minimise the temporary impact of disruptions and to keep the public informed about alternative arrangements.One of the aims of the EcoMobility World Festival is to showcase transport system where public transport, walking and cycling are the modes of choice.This links with Johannesburg’s GDS 2040, which envisions the metro as a smart city. A smart city is an environmentally friendly city created out of a combination of concepts and technologies. These include the enhancement of energy efficiency, and water and waste management, coupled with the conservation of resources.Nationally, South Africa has made bold commitments to reduce its carbon emissions, a major cause of climate change. The government has determined to reduce 2009 emissions levels by 34% by 2020, and 42% by 2025. The NDP acknowledges that this will require a move away from the country’s current dependence on fossil fuels, towards a more sustainable development path.“The festival will demonstrate to the world that an eco-mobile future is possible and that public transport, walking and cycling can be accessible, safe and attractive,” said Johannesburg Executive Mayor Mpho Parks Tau.“We want to close off certain streets in Sandton, our second largest CBD, to car traffic and instead use these lanes for public transport, walking, cycling and other forms of eco-mobility during the entire Transport Month.”The Sandton CBD faced levels of congestion that, in the city’s opinion, were unacceptable, Tau added. Unless there was an intervention, Sandton would turn into a parking lot, as had been projected by studies done by Joburg.“Per capita, Johannesburg is the highest emitter on the African continent of carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions. We’ve made a commitment with our international partners and governments around the world to ensure that we reduce greenhouse gas emissions,” he said.Migrate to public transportLisa Seftel, Joburg’s executive director of transport, said October had been set aside to migrate Sandton motorists to public transport. The city aims to get 30% of drivers to use public transport.Statistics hold that more than 85 000 cars carrying about 120 000 people move around the precinct during peak traffic times every day – 70% of these are private cars. “Eco-mobility is really about eco-friendly ways of travelling, which we in the city regard as walking, cycling, and using public transport so that there are low emissions and we’re able to reduce congestion,” Seftel told business news website BizNews.“One of the important objectives of the executive mayor and why he really wanted the EcoMobility Festival to be in Sandton is because we also need to decongest Sandton.”People were being given a chance to experience public transport, walking, and cycling, Seftel added. The city hoped they would see its benefits and there would be a permanent shift.During the festival, the city is providing alternative modes of transport to Sandton.An eco-mobile city:Aims to reduce the need for motorised mobility;Ensures that transport facilities and areas are accessible to all its users;Ensures that an appropriate variety of modes of transport are available for all its users;Encourages travellers to walk, bicycle, and take public transport;Continually aims to encourage the reduction of resources use for travel; and,Continually aims to improve its performance in planning and delivering eco-mobility.The festival is taking place during October Transport Month, an annual national initiative. Its core focus is infrastructure for the different modes of transport, including public and non-motorised transport. This year, under the theme “Together we move South Africa forward”, the emphasis will extend to job creation, programmes for youth and women, and road safety.Minister Jeff Radebe, the minister in the Presidency responsible for planning, monitoring and evaluation, said October Transport Month was also an opportunity to increase road safety awareness.last_img read more

first_imgWest Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday said she would have shared Teesta water with Bangladesh had there been enough water available. “Bangladesh has stopped giving us Hilsa. This is because we could not give them Teesta water. We would have given if we had surplus water,” Ms. Banerjee said on the floor of the State Legislative Assembly.The sharing of Teesta water is a major bilateral issue between India and Bangladesh. Ms. Banerjee has said that entire north Bengal will run dry if the water was shared with Bangladesh. Instead, she has proposed sharing the waters of other north Bengal rivers such as Torsa, Manshai, Sankosh and Dhansai.last_img read more