Landon Gomes had four rushing touchdowns and Ferndale High completed a sweep of the Little 4 Conference, wrapping up the regular season with a 34-13 win over McKinleyville Friday night at the Redwood Bowl.The senior do-it-all player for the Wildcats couldn’t be stopped Friday night.Gomes opened the scoring for the Wildcats with an 18-yard touchdown run in the beginning of the second quarter to tie the game after a McKinleyville touchdown by Kyler Carr earlier in the game gave the home team an …
In 72 hours College of the Redwoods men’s basketball has matched its win total from the previous two seasons, combined.Thomas Nelson hit four 3-pointers in the first-quarter and finished with five and 36 points, leading Redwoods to a 75-66 win over Monterey Peninsula College Saturday morning on the final day of the San Jose Tipoff tournament in San Jose.Nelson scored 23 of his 36 points in the first-half, 18 of them coming in the first-quarter.“We knew as soon as he woke up that (Nelson) was …
11 July 2013South African state company Transnet has secured US$108-million (approximately R1.1-billion) in financing from the Export-Import Bank of the United States to support its purchase of 53 locomotives from US company General Electric Transportation.The grant, announced on Monday, follows Ex-Im Bank’s approval, in February 2011, of a R1.1-billion loan to Transnet for the purchase of 47 locomotive kits from General Electric (GE), adding up to a total of $230-million in financing for the purchase of 100 GE locomotives.Ex-Im chairman Fred Hochberg, referring to US President Barack Obama’s recent trip to South Africa, said in a statement on Monday: “As the President highlighted on his recent trip, there are enormous opportunities for US exporters in South Africa and across the broader region.”The bank, which provides below-market financing to facilitate sales of US goods abroad, would “continue to help American companies expand their reach into this dynamic market,” Hochberg said.In April 2012, Transnet has announced the details of a R300-billion investment in infrastructure aimed at creating over half-a-million new jobs while making its freight rail division the fifth-largest in the world.Transnet plans to spend the lion’s share of this capital investment, R205-billion, on rail projects – R151-billion of this on freight rail – as the company pushes to increase South African freight rail volumes from about 200-million to 350-million tons by 2019, while increasing its market share of container traffic from around 79% to 92%.Achieving such an increase would significantly reduce the cost of doing business in South Africa, Transnet said last year, citing internal studies showing that rail in the country was on average 75% cheaper than road transport.The 47 GE locomotive kits are due to be shipped to Transnet Rail Engineering’s facilities in Koedoespoort, Pretoria later this year, where they will be assembled by local workers to include up to 37% local content.“I greatly appreciate Ex-Im’s financing arrangements for this sale, which supports jobs in the United States and South Africa,” GE Transportation CEO Lorenzo Simonelli said on Monday.Ex-Im Bank said South Africa was “one of nine key markets Ex-Im Bank has identified as having strong opportunities for US exporters. In financial year 2012, Ex-Im Bank authorized approximately $130-million in financing to South Africa, and the bank’s current exposure is more than $1-billion.”SAinfo reporter
A day after the Income Tax Department conducted raids at 22 locations in New Delhi and adjoining areas in connection with the alleged benami (proxy) land deals linked to Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad and his family members, a clash broke out between workers of the RJD and the BJP in Patna on Wednesday. Several workers from both parties were injured.The BJP later filed a police complaint against Mr. Prasad and his two Minister-sons for “orchestrating the attack on the BJP office”.At least six partymen from the BJP and others from the RJD were injured in the clash which broke out after hundreds of bare-bodied RJD youth wing workers marched to the BJP office at Beerchand Patel Path, shouting slogans against BJP and its party leader Sushil Kumar Modi for “continuously attacking the RJD chief and his family”.The protesting RJD partymen were, apparently, also furious at the Income Tax raid on Mr. Prasad and his kin on Tuesday.Carrying party flags, the RJD youth wing workers reached the BJP office, just 100 metres from the RJD office on the same road, and a clash broke out. They exchanged baton blows and threw bottles and stones at each other. Several vehicles parked outside the BJP office too were damaged. The police had a tough time controlling the situation.In the BJP office at Patna, no senior leader was present as the party had called a State-wide dharna against corruption, while demanding that the two sons of the RJD chief [Tejashwi Prasad Yadav and Tej Pratap Yadav] be sacked from the Nitish Cabinet.‘Shameful attack’“It was an attack on the BJP office to gag the voice of the opposition,” alleged senior State BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi.Describing the attack as “shameful”, State BJP president Nityanand Rai said it happened “on the direction of Lalu Prasad Yadav…we’ll take this issue to the court and not be distracted from the real issue of corruption charges against Lalu Prasad and his family members.”A delegation of BJP leaders met the Director General of Police P.K. Thakur and demanded action against RJD workers. “We will take action after verifying the evidence,” said Additional Director General of Police (headquarter), S.K. Singhal.RJD spokesperson Manoj Jha blamed the BJP workers for first throwing stones and beer bottles on the “peaceful march” of RJD workers. “As many 26 RJD workers were injured…the police should investigate how beer bottles came in the BJP office in dry Bihar,” Mr. Jha told journalists in Patna.
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Newcastle defender Fabian Schar warns: We’re not yet safeby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveNewcastle United defender Fabian Schar has warned they’re not yet safe from relegation.Schar has insisted Newcastle still have plenty of room for improvement – despite pulling six points clear of the drop zone following victory at Huddersfield.Speaking after the game Schar said: “At the moment, we have quite good results away.“We have another important week in front of us with a game at home, and it’s another big chance for us.“We are not comfortable with the results at St. James’ Park – we always want to get points there, so we have to try and show the fans what we’ve got and (how) we can play.“We can improve a lot of things.“At the same time, we always have to be focussed and play with our heart.“Even if it is a home game, we have to be able to defend like we do away.”
About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say Chelsea smash seven past Grimsby as debutante James shinesby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea demolished Grimsby Town by seven goals to one to secure their place on the Carabao Cup fourth-round on Wednesday.Teenager Reece James was excellent on debut, scoring and setting up two goals.Michy Batshuayi also took advantage of his first start of the season by scoring a brace.Ross Barkley, Pedro and Kurt Zouma also got on the scoresheet.Callum Hudson-Odoi rounded off the win in his first appearance since going down with an Achilles injury in April.
Real Madrid will move for Spurs star Eriksen in Januaryby Paul Vegas15 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid will move for Christian Eriksen in January, according to reports.Eriksen wanted to leave Tottenham this past summer, but no suitable offers arrived.He will become a free agent at the end of the season, yet Real want him as soon as possible.Marca says Real will bid for the Dane during the winter transfer window as they don’t want to take any risk of losing him.Spurs would likely accept an offer as Eriksen will walk for free in the summer. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Ryan Harvey, Communications Coordinator for the City of Fort St. John, said, “The response has been terrific, we love that people think it is funny and represents our community, and have had a number of people comment with their own unhappy examples.”‘Move Up Here’ was created as a recruitment program, to help local businesses draw new people to the community for employment. By collaborating with businesses that require skilled employees and trained professionals to fill employment positions, the City helped to create a visually appealing campaign to attract potential employees to ‘Move up Here’.The campaign has been submitted to larger online and hard copy publications to try to help attract a large range of people from different demographics as well as being used in different capacities for social sharing.Statistic’s Canada Report, published in April 2015; Life satisfaction across economic regions; CLICK HERE FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Is Fort St. John one of Canada’s unhappiest places as a Statistics Canada reported in a report dated in April 2015?In a tongue in cheek response to the report ‘life satisfaction across economic regions’ staff of the city of Fort St. John replied to this in their latest ‘Move Up Here’ Campaign video.
Melbourne: Former captain Ricky Ponting feels constant scrutiny on Steve Smith and David Warner following their comeback could be “unsettling” for the Australian team during the World Cup in the United Kingdom. Ponting, who will be part of Australia’s support staff during the mega event, said Smith and Warner will have to be prepared for constant criticism from the UK crowd. Their two-year ban for ball-tampering ends later this month and they will feature in the IPL beginning March 23. Also Read – Dhoni, Paes spotted playing football together”I don’t think it is much of a challenge internally around the players. You’d like to think that those guys are having conversations now, so they’re not leaving it to the last minute and just be exposed to this thing that could be derailing to a team,” Ponting told cricket.com.au. “I’m sure this would have been talked about at a higher level for a long time – how do we integrate them back in? How do they fit in? How is it all going to be seamless? But the hardest part for those guys is going to be the public perception of us, especially in England,” said the two-time World Cup winning captain. Also Read – Andy Murray to make Grand Slam return at Australian OpenConstant attention on Smith and Warner could affect the team during the World Cup, said Ponting. They’re coming back into a World Cup in the UK – they shouldn’t be expecting too many pats on the back over there. They’re going to cop it everywhere they go. They’ve got to know that, they’ve got to accept that and understand that. “The team needs to as well, because that could also be something that could be unsettling for a team.” Australia go into the World Cup as defending champions but this time, they don’t go enter the tournament as outright favourites. Ponting feels things could get a lot easier for Warner and Smith if they are amongst the runs. “I think they are well equipped (to handle the scrutiny), but I think it could be a shock for them by the same token when they come back. They have to expect the absolute worst and then anything better than that is going to be a bonus for them. That would be the way I would approach it if I was them.
Washington: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said the recent arrest of a woman who allegedly breached security at President Donald Trump’s private Florida club while carrying Chinese passports and a flash drive containing malware, is an example of the threat Beijing poses to Washington. In a TV interview on Friday, Pompeo declined to provide additional details related to his claim but said: “I think this tells the American people the threat that China poses, the efforts they’re making inside the US, not only against government officials but more broadly.” CNN reported on Wednesday that the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) had begun investigating the possibility that the incident at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago property was an espionage effort. The US official who confirmed the espionage probe said the FBI is doing what it has to do in these circumstances, when there is a foreign national involved and a possibility of counterintelligence or cyber-security issues. Earlier this week, Trump dismissed concerns about the incident when asked about potential Chinese espionage. Hedescribed it a “fluke situation,” praising both the Secret Service and the receptionist who stopped the accused, Yujing Zhang. Zhang was charged with making false statements to a federal officer and entering a restricted area on Monday. A detention hearing is scheduled for April 8 and arraignment for April 15. While investigators have not yet revealed conclusive evidence suggesting a link to Chinese espionage, the breach has highlighted long-brewing concerns about security at Mar-a-Lago. The club allows members, their guests and people attending events to enter and move around, even as Trump makes frequent visits to the property.