AC Milan look set to begin proceedings to sign current head coach Gennaro Gattuso to a new contract ahead of their derby against arch-rivals Inter MilanSince replacing the fired Vincenzo Montella back in November, Gattuso has overseen an upturn in form for Milan and they have been unbeaten domestically in 2018.The former youth coach was promoted, despite no prior experience, and now taken lead Milan back into the race for a possible Champions League spot in the Serie A standings.“When we open our eggs this Easter, we’re going to find Gennaro Gattuso’s renewal inside,” said Milan’s sporting director Massimiliano Mirabelli, according to The 42.Maurizio Sarri satisfied despite Juventus’ draw at Fiorentina Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Maurizio Sarri was satisfied with Juventus’ performance on Saturday afternoon after finishing a tough game at Fiorentina 0-0.“I’ve been telling you for some time, although perhaps you only know him as a player, that Rino (Gattuso) is already an important coach and in the future will be one of the best in the world, so it’s only right that Milan keep hold of him.“We are working to start a new era with Gattuso, because we believe he is the right coach for a Milan that must be a protagonist over the next few years.“We all want it (contract), Rino like all of us, we just need to find the right time to do what we have to do.”
Real Madrid have reportedly named Marcos Alonso as a replacement for Marcelo, should he leave for Juventus this summerAlonso has made 88 appearances in all competitions for Chelsea since arriving from Fiorentina in 2016.However, it is understood that the 27-year-old would be open to returning to boyhood club Real Madrid at some point in the future.Mundo Deportivo reports that there is still a possibility that Marcelo may depart for Juventus before the end of the transfer deadline on Friday.Apparently, Real have now approached Chelsea to initiate talks over signing Alonso.Chelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.Although the 13-time European champions would rather retain Marcelo for this season having already parted with star player Cristiano Ronaldo last month.The Portuguese star is keen to reunite with his good friend at new club Juventus.Meanwhile, Chelsea are unlikely to want to lose Alonso at this stage of the summer transfer window.The Spanish left-back has started each of their three Premier League games this season and still has another three years remaining on his contract.
00:00 /01:23 X To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Gage Skidmore/FlickrFormer Secretary of State Hillary Clinton speaking with supporters at a “Get Out the Caucus” rally at Valley Southwoods Freshman High School in West Des Moines, Iowa. Taken on January 24, 2016.The Democratic National Convention has formally chosen Hillary Clinton as the party’s 2016 candidate for president.Divisions between Clinton supporters and those of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders continued to roil the Texas delegation into the second day of the convention. But Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner, who is at the convention in Philadelphia, is convinced most of Sanders’ followers will support Clinton in November. Turner says the Democrats’ have come back from worse intraparty fights than this to win the White House. He points to the party’s 2008 convention in Denver.Houston Public Media’s Coverage of Election 2016“There were a lot of people who were committed to Hillary all the way to the convention,” Turner says, “and there were many people who said they were not going to support Barack Obama. I mean, they said it publicly, and at the time they said it, they meant it. But when people start kind of looking at all of the issues and who was in their best interest, people rallied behind President Barack Obama.”The mayor says he fully expects the 2008 dynamic will repeat itself, whatever Sanders supporters may think of Clinton personally.“I think that people recognize that there are important issues that are impacting children and families. The economy. Working-class people. The income inequality is very real. Criminal justice reform. Who will be appointing people to the United States Supreme Court. Those are big issues that supersede any one particular personality,” he says.Turner says he’s actually pleased to see Sanders voters, particularly younger ones, showing so much energy and passion. He says they’ve worked hard, and the party needs to respect their opinions. Listen Share
Michael Stravato for The Texas TribuneJeremy Boutor removes personal items on an air mattress from his home in a neighborhood along Eldridge Parkway, flooded by waters released from Addicks Reservoir on Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017, adding to flooding from Hurricane Harvey.The U.S. House of Representatives passed a major disaster relief bill Monday evening, concluding a series of dramatic delays in Congress and sending the legislation to the desk of President Trump.The $19.1 billion bill, which Trump is expected to sign, would allocate funding to nine disaster-affected states and two territories, and also release more than $4 billion to Texas that Congress allocated more than a year ago in the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey. After meeting unexpected resistance in the House that stalled the vote for 11 days, the bill at last broke through Monday by an overwhelming, bipartisan margin of 354-58.The bill passed in the U.S. Senate just before the Memorial Day recess but hit an obstacle when it reached the House floor. Most members had already left Washington for the holiday. Backers of the legislation had hoped to push it through on a voice vote before the recess. These efforts were thwarted by U.S. Rep. Chip Roy, an Austin Republican, who drew national attention for his blocking of the vote by using a procedural objection. Two other conservative House members later made similar objections, ensuring that Congress couldn’t send the bill to Trump until after the recess.The resistance in the House appeared to come as a surprise to Senate Republicans, including Texan John Cornyn, whose contributions were instrumental in breaking the Senate logjam and applying pressure on the White House to take swift action. A key provision of the bill is a White House “shot clock,” implemented by Cornyn, which would require the Office of Management and Budget to release more than $4 billion in disaster aid owed to Texas within a 90-day window.Given the bipartisan support for natural disaster relief, securing relief funding has proved surprisingly difficult in recent years. The new bill was pushed through Congress only after the Trump administration dropped demands that the package exclude disaster aid for Puerto Rico and include allocations for the Department of Homeland Security to address the migrant crisis at the border.And for Texas, the forestalled success of the new bill caps a prolonged struggle by the state’s delegation to secure aid promised over a year ago. After Congress approved more than $16 billion in disaster relief funds in early 2018, efforts by Texas representatives to secure the state’s share have been frustrated by bureaucratic hurdles in OMB and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. Most recently, U.S. Rep. Lizzie Pannill Fletcher, a Houston Democrat, and U.S. Rep. Randy Weber, a Friendswood Republican, introduced a bill with similar language to Cornyn’s provision demanding that HUD release the long overdue $4 billion to Houston-area districts still recovering from Hurricane Harvey.Local advocates for communities still recovering from Hurricane Harvey expressed frustration at yet another delay in the federal funds. Hurricane season started on June 1 and coastal communities in Texas are already seeing flooding amid strong recent storms.Even with the addition of Cornyn’s “shot clock,” the wait for disaster relief funding will continue. If President Trump signs the bill immediately, OMB will not have to release its funding until late summer, after the worst of hurricane season has already passed.This post was originally published by The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan media organization that informs Texans — and engages with them — about public policy, politics, government and statewide issues. Share
The Asbury United Methodist Church, 926 11th St NW, is planning to hold its Homecoming Sunday Celebration on Sept. 20 at 10 a.m. The theme for the celebration is “Fruits of Thy Labor, Fruit of The Spirit”. The historic downtown congregation has worshipped and served continuously for 179 years from the corners of 11th and K Streets in Northwest, where Rev. Dr. Lanther M. Mills serves as the senior pastor. Asbury is calling all current and former members to come home and bring friends and family members to help celebrate this special occasion. For more information, contact the Asbury church office, 202-628-0009, or visit asburyumcdc.org.
By PHOEBE SUY, Beaumont EnterpriseBEAUMONT, Texas (AP) — From its beginnings in the years after the Civil War, Beaumont’s oldest Black church has witnessed the establishment of the area’s first Black public school, weathered desegregation and this year will celebrate 150 years as a “beacon of light in the community.”“Born and raised” in St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church, Walter McCloney said he strives to keep his “commitment (to the church) palatable.”Walter McCloney is one of the oldest members of St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church in Beaumont. (Kim Brent/The Beaumont Enterprise via AP)The Beaumont Enterprise reports the 79-year-old church trustee said St. Paul A.M.E Church is a part of the legacy and vision of the “spiritual builders” who founded the church in 1868.“We’re the beneficiaries of what they did,” said McCloney, pointing to the vaulted ceiling and colorful glass windows that adorn the Waverly Street sanctuary.McCloney, the third generation in his family to attend the church, said St. Paul was “very special” to him as one of the oldest Black churches in Beaumont.St. Paul African Methodist Episcopal Church grew out of a Methodist church organized for Blacks three years after the end of the Civil War, according to historical church documents.Members of the young church met on alternative Sundays in the basement of the Jefferson County Courthouse.A Beaumonter since “the close of the War between the States,” church founder and former slave Woodson Pipkin was known for his “quaint old timey ways and self-respecting habits,” according to church documents.Pipkin formally became the group’s first pastor in 1872 and moved the church to the second story of his residence once located in the 900 block of Market Street. The church soon outgrew the upper story of Pipkin’s home and moved to a larger location on Beaumont’s north side at the site of what is now Alice Keith Park.On Sundays, the church doubled as a school where many church members learned to read and write, according to an account by local historian Judith Linsley.Pipkin later donated a lot on Wall Street that was the “center of activities for Blacks,” witnessing countless births, deaths, weddings and civic ceremonies. St. Paul remained at the downtown location until the early 1960s, when the old building began to give way to “age and decay,” according to church records.When the upper story of the church’s structure caved in, church members made do and held services in the basement. But when a fire destroyed the two-story building, the congregation raised funds to purchase the Waverly Street property.St. Paul “stands on their shoulders” of longtime church members who have “kept the faith,” McCloney said.In the 1940s and 1950s, St. Paul’s was one of the largest Black churches in Beaumont, McCloney said, recalling the days at the downtown location when he and his friends would run to Fowler’s Drug Store after Sunday school to get ice cream before the sermon.While McCloney said he believed all churches that preached a “positive message” during the civil rights era were a part of the movement, St. Paul’s played an active role in the community in the 1960s as a meeting spot for activists and NAACP members.Alice Jefferson Tiller, whose family were longtime members of St. Paul, was one of the first African-Americans to enroll at Lamar University in 1956, according to McCloney.While its membership has slowly dwindled, McCloney said he looks forward to reaching out to families and communities to become a part of the church’s legacy.“This is our family,” said Bobbie Williams, who joined the church in the 1980s after moving here from Louisiana.Williams said she joined St. Paul after feeling “so at ease” in the church.Years ago, women weren’t seen in church without hats or gloves, Williams recalled, adding that St. Paul’s “down-to-earth” and no-frills atmosphere made her feel welcome.Williams used to sit in the same pew as the late Fayetta Donovan, one of Pipkin’s descendants, who Williams said was “a lot of fun.”Whenever the preacher would “preach too long,” Donovan would begin to shake her keys to signal the end of the hour.“Ms. Donovan always said, if they preach too long, the people will lose their spirit,” Williams said.Church founders and organizers “kept the faith for so long,” McCloney said. He is proud to be a part of the tight-knit congregation and “a lifelong member of that legacy.”___Information from: The Beaumont Enterprise, http://beaumontenterprise.com
Box Score (PDF) INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Alex McNicholas led the way with four goals as Louisville women’s lacrosse won 15-5 at Butler on Wednesday afternoon. With the victory, the Cardinals improve to 2-5 overall, while the Bulldogs fall to 2-4.Ally Hall got Louisville on the board just 45 seconds into the game and the Cardinals scored four times in the first five minutes to build an early 4-0 lead.After Butler got on the board with 21:39 to go in the half, Louisville reeled off another five straight goals to build a 9-1 lead and then went into the locker room at halftime with a 10-3 advantage. The Bulldogs pulled within eight at 13-5 with 3:56 to go, but the Cardinals got two more goals in the final two-plus minutes to secure the victory.McNicholas scored two goals in each half for her first hat trick of the season. She also led the way with three draw controls.Tessa Chad added her fourth hat trick of the year on seven shots, while Caroline Blalock and Sarah Blalock finished with two goals each. Caroline Blalock and Shay Clevenger led the way defensively with three ground balls each.The Louisville defense limited Butler to just 14 shots, while the offense racked up 40 shots, 31 of which were on goal. Rachel Florek picked up her second win of the season in goal, finishing with four saves and a .571 save percentage.The Cardinals also finished with 15 draw controls to Butler’s five.Following the win, Louisville returns home to host Duke on Saturday at noon.Print Friendly Version Story Links
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar’s tweet likening himself to ‘chandan’ (sandalwood), which remains unaffected despite snakes wrapping themselves around it, has created a flutter in poll-bound Bihar as it is being seen as directed against his ally Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Yadav.One @SunilVChandak posed a question to Kumar on his programme “Ask Nitish” on Twitter on July 20 – “#AskNitish if you win with Laluji and the numbers are significant, how you will be able to give good development-ordinated government?” Also Read – Need to understand why law graduate’s natural choice is not legal profession: CJIIn reply, Kumar had tweeted, “Bihar’s development is my sole agenda. Jo Rahim
Private equity-backed telco company Sunrise will launch an IPTV service in Switzerland in the first quarter of 2012.It has already conducted a trial service and will launch IPTV as part of a quad-play offer early next year. Private equity firm Cinven acquired Sunrise from Danish telco and cable operator TDC for US$3.3 billion (€2.5 billion) last year and it is Switzerland’s second largest mobile and third largest broadband operator.
Curt MarvisYouth broadcaster The QYou is launching a fully localised version of its channel for the first time – in the Polish market in partnership with Mediakraft TV.The QYou Polska will launch on Play’s over-the-top service, Play Now, will feature Polish presenters and regional content from Mediakraft TV’s stable of entertainers and creators.“When QYou first entered in Poland last year it quickly became clear to us that this was a region with huge growth potential, because there’s a strong demand for online video, particularly among younger audiences,” said Curt Marvis, CEO and co-founder of QYou Media.“Partnering with Mediakraft TV gives us the opportunity to tap into this appetite and build a channel focused on Poland’s unique and fascinating culture. The rising interest in online video is now driving a greater demand from broadcasters to regionalise content and it’s therefore an offering we expect to replicate in other markets in the coming months.”Mediakraft TV is the Polish subsidiary of European multi channel network, Mediakraft Networks, and produces many popular YouTube creators and channels in Poland – including Ponki, Topowa Dycha, and Hasztagi.Polish mobile operator, Play, launched mobile TV service Play Now last year. The QYou Polska is due to go live on the service in late 2017.