Pamela Anderson has sent a letter to Gov. Jerry Brown urging him to slash the budget and combat the drought by cutting meat from the menus of state prisons — and offering to serve lunch to inmates as she did at a vegetarian jail in Arizona.“As a resident of Los Angeles, I’m proud of your admirable prison reform efforts, designed to reduce the rate of mass incarceration,” she wrote. “Over the past three years, they’ve inspired other states to follow California’s lead. I have a suggestion that dovetails nicely with the progress that you’ve made so far while also addressing the state’s budget and water crises. Since California has more than 127,000 inmates, you could save taxpayers about $4.3 million a year and greatly improve the health of the prisoners by switching to nutritious vegan meals in correctional facilities.“These huge tax savings are based on the $273,000 in reduced costs reported by the Maricopa County Jail in Arizona, when it switched to all-vegetarian food for its 8,000 inmates. Last year, I went there with representatives of PETA to serve lunch to the prisoners and can report that they were impressed by the freshness and quality of the food. Beans, rice, lentils, pasta, potatoes and other vegetables, and oranges and other fruits have all the nutrients that a person needs but at a fraction of the cost of meats and cheeses. If California follows Arizona’s lead in switching to meat-free meals in prisons, I’d be happy to inaugurate the program by helping cook lunch and serve it to inmates.“By taking meat off the menu in all 33 state-run prisons, you’d be dramatically reducing the amount of water used to produce prisoners’ meals. It takes more than 2,400 gallons of water to produce just 1 pound of meat. I recently posed for this ad for PETA in order to draw attention to the meat and dairy farms that drain half our country’s water.“It’s heartening to know that you’re improving the state’s prison system. I hope you use this suggestion as one way of achieving that end while also addressing the budget and water crises. PETA and I would be happy to work with your team in order to create a low-cost meal plan for your correctional facilities, as we did in Arizona. I hope to have the opportunity to help you launch it.”
Two days after saying he would play in the London Olympics despite a serious eye injury, San Antonio Spurs star guard Tony Parker recants that prediction and says not playing is very much a possibility.Parker was caught in the middle of the now-infamous fight involving singer Chris Brown and members of hip-hop star Drake’s entourage.Parker’s cornea was scratched in the fight, and he had surgery to remove a shard that had ”penetrated 99 percent” of his left eye.”I almost lost my eye,” Parker said in an interview posted on his website Sunday.He did not join the rest of France’s team Wednesday and will see a specialist in New York when he is cleared to take long-haul flights after July 5.”I’m seeing a specialist in New York with the hope of being given the all clear to play in the Olympic Games,” Parker said. ”Spurs are very worried.”Anything can happen, including me being out of the Olympics. The decision doesn’t belong to me anymore. It’s in the hands of the doctor and San Antonio.”Parker said he has been having hallucinations and been unable to leave his hotel room for eight days because of the risk of infection. He also has to apply five different products into his eye every two hours.”Fear sets in,” Parker said of being told he would have to undergo surgery. ”An eye is so fragile. … I couldn’t believe it. But that’s life. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.”I didn’t have luck, but I came out well from my misfortune. It could have been worse. The rest of my career is not in question. I just have to wait for the injury to heal itself.”Chris Brown, his girlfriend and his bodyguard were among eight injured during the fight inside the W.i.P club in SoHo on June 15. Police say members of Drake’s entourage stopped Brown as he was leaving. The fight escalated and bottles were thrown.Parker is suing the New York City club for $20 million.
The Senate on Wednesday stripped from the fiscal 2016 defense authorization bill language directing the Defense Department to privatize up to five commissaries through a two-year pilot program.Lawmakers also passed a second procedural vote to end debate on the annual policy bill, setting up a final vote for passage which likely will take place Thursday. The 84-14 vote also signaled the Democrats’ decision not to filibuster the authorization bill over its reliance on DOD’s overseas contingency operations account to exceed the Budget Control Act spending caps. Instead, Senate Democrats will resume that fight over the defense spending bill. The party is expected to block a vote, which could come today, to debate the spending measure in the Senate.Before voting to invoke cloture on the underlying bill, the Senate approved language requiring DOD to assess the costs and benefits of privatizing military grocery stores prior to launching a pilot program to evaluate privatization. The amendment was offered by Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), but it was modified to include the text of a related amendment from Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) and Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), reported CQ.“This amendment puts all efforts to prioritize commissaries on hold, requiring instead an assessment on privatizing before we make significant changes to our service member’s commissary benefits,” Inhofe said in a joint press release. “There are too many unknowns as to whether privatization could directly impact military members’ ability to provide for their families as well as the potential for it to affect retention,” he stated.The House bill does not include language requiring DOD to test privatization.On Tuesday, the Senate rejected an amendment from David Vitter (R-La.) that would have established a floor of 32 Army brigade combat teams (BCTs) in the active and reserve Army components. That is the number of BCTs the Army will have at the end of the current fiscal year when it reaches an end strength of 490,000. Officials shortly are expected to announce further cuts that would shrink the Army by up to 70,000 additional troops and 10 to 12 BCTs. Dan Cohen AUTHOR
The storylines and word choices are adapted to the player’s age, with shorter and simpler language used for younger audiences, and more complex vocabulary words for the older kids. As players progress within the app, their achievements earn them badges for their success. The new Marvel Hero Tales app shows kids that their word choices can decide what Spider-Man does next in the interactive comic. Kuato Studios “This is the most personal project I’ve ever been involved with, not just because of my love of the Marvel Universe, but also because as a child with undiagnosed dyslexia, school, and particularly reading, was incredibly challenging for me,” Mark Horneff, CEO of Kuato Studio, said in a statement. Avengers: Endgame toys, merchandise to re-create the MCU capstone 1 Share your voice The Marvel Hero Tales app aims to help kids learn to read and write using comics. Kuato Studios Learning to read and write can be daunting for kids, but with the new Marvel Hero Tales mobile app from Kuato Studios, little ones hopefully can get some help from Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Ms. Marvel and other Marvel greats.The free app, available on iOS and Android, encourages kids from 7 to 11 to write their own Marvel stories while developing their language and reading skills. The Marvel Hero Tales app lets kids follow superheroes like Spider-Man, Ms. Marvel, Captain America and Captain Marvel as they “level up” by completing activities such as word collection and comprehension of words. Players can then use these words to write their own story by building sentences inside a comic book panel. Their choice of words directly affects the outcome of the superhero’s mission. The final result is a personalized comic book that can be shared with friends and family. 18 Photos Horneff remembers being given a copy of Spider-Man at age 8 and reading it cover to cover.” “Those adventures fed not only my imagination, but my confidence as a storyteller and my passion for reading,” Horneff said. “My hope is that Marvel Hero Tales will inspire a new generation of Marvel readers and storytellers, and in some small way, allow that 8-year-old to repay some of the debt I owe to Peter Parker.” Captain Marvel Marvel Spiderman Captain America Tags Mobile Apps TV and Movies Iron Man’s Avengers: Endgame cabin is yours to rent on Airbnb Own a piece of Avengers: Endgame Jessica Jones season 3: New trailer, photos and release date revealed Comment More superheroes
Kolkata: The 10th edition of Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival will see the participation of writers, poets and dignitaries from China, Italy, France, Australia, Singapore, USA, UK and Pakistan, alongside noted names from Indian literary circles. Scheduled to take place from January 18 to 20 next year, it will feature Andrew Sean Greer, Pulitzer winner for Fiction 2018; Ira Mukhoty, known for her feminist writing; Devdutt Pattanaik, mythology expert and author; Ramchandra Guha, historian; Ravinder Singh, Young Adult author; Upamanyu Chatterjee, celebrated writer; Ravish Kumar, journalist, Poet and author; along with veteran Bollywood actor Naseeruddin Shah. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life “Apeejay Kolkata Literary Festival (AKLF) has connected, empowered and mobilised new voices and ideas since its inception in 2010. In the last nine years, the festival has contributed greatly to restoring Kolkata’s literary edge, a distinct and valued identity, I felt, at the time, it was losing. “AKLF has developed as the fountainhead of the mission we pursue 365 days at Oxford Bookstores – of books, reading, literature, writers, publishers, building readership, creating awareness and attraction for the world of books and popularising the whole gamut that goes with books and publishing,” said Priti Paul, Director, Apeejay Surrendra Group. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killed Novelist of the much acclaimed “All The Lives We Never Lived” Anuradha Roy; former Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah; and Sahitya Akademi winner Jerry Pinto will also be participating. They will be joined by Ashwin Sanghi, Rajmohan Gandhi, Shashi Tharoor, Shobhaa De, and Ratna Pathak Shah. AKLF 2019 will focus on health, current affairs, women’s issues, and children’s literature among other themes. The 10th edition of the festival will be held in Park Street’s iconic spaces giving everyone an opportunity to (re)visit, admire and enjoy their tangible and intangible heritage.
This hotel package lets you ‘Live Like Kevin’ in Home Alone Travelweek Group NEW YORK CITY — Ready to feel old? ‘Home Alone 2: Lost In New York’, everyone’s favourite holiday flick, is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. In the words of Kevin McCallister, “Aaaaggghhhh!”A quarter of a century after a mini Macaulay Culkin evaded the Sticky Bandits in the Big Apple, the iconic hotel that served as the backdrop for the iconic movie is offering a commemorative anniversary package that will make visitors feel like kids again.The ‘HOME ALONE 2 Anniversary Room Package at The Plaza New York, priced from US$895, includes an interactive photo experience, a paint can with all five ‘Home Alone’ DVDs, an anniversary backpack and, the pièce de résistance, an over-the-top ice cream sundae in-room, just like the one Kevin had in the movie.Guests can enhance the package by adding express passes to the top of the Empire State Building, access to Wollman Rink, a four-hour limousine tour through New York City during which they can use their Home Alone Map to follow in Kevin’s footsteps, and a personalized vacation photographer.More news: Rome enforces ban on sitting on Spanish StepsThe anniversary package is available from Dec. 1, 2017 to Oct. 29, 2018.Moreover, the hotel is offering all movie fans – not just hotel guests – to ‘Live Like Kevin’. In room and throughout the property, guests are invited to dine in the Todd English Food Hall to taste-test a 90s-inspired menu featuring upscale versions of childhood favourites. The interactive photo experience, which includes photo opps with the Sticky Bandits, is open to the public as well.For more information, go to theplazany.com/homealone2. Posted by Tags: Christmas, New York City Tweet Tuesday, November 28, 2017 << Previous PostNext Post >>