BRISBANE, Australia (AP): Milos Raonic got one back on Roger Federer to start the new season. After losing coach Ivan Ljubicic to the Federer camp leading into 2016, Raonic achieved something nobody else born in the 1990s has managed to do against the 17-time major winner – beat him twice. The 25-year-old Canadian broke Federer’s serve once in each set of a 6-4, 6-4 win yesterday in the Brisbane International decider, reversing the outcome of their meeting in last year’s final at the Australian Open warm-up tournament. Ljubicic was in Federer’s corner for the final. Carlos Moya, who will join Raonic’s coaching crew, doesn’t arrive in Australia until next week. He’s got a good base to work off, starting with Raonic’s eighth career title and only his second win in 11 matches against Federer. It was a boost coming off a troubled end to 2015, when Raonic missed the last three weeks with a back problem, having missed the French Open earlier in the season with a foot injury, parted company with Ljubicic and finished out of the top 10. “It does great things – it signifies within the team how concrete and good the work we’re doing is,” Raonic said of his win. “At the same time, with the difficulties I’ve had last year, it’s maybe a good way for me to show the other guys I will face going in Melbourne, you know, I’ve got my stuff back together and I can play some good tennis again.” Raonic attacked top-seeded Federer with his booming serve and forehand, as expected, but also went to the net 13 times in the first set and won 10 of those points to put him on course for the win. Federer, who went 6-5 in finals in 2015 – with all five losses coming to top-ranked Novak Djokovic – struggled earlier in the week with lingering flu-like symptoms, but improved with four matches in four days, including wins over Grigor Dimitrov in the quarterfinals and Dominic Thiem in the semis. Raonic “did well. It was a tough match – (my) legs were a little bit wobbly,” Federer said. “Still, considering the week I’ve had, I’m actually quite happy. That’s why I’m not down or anything or disappointed. “If I would’ve known I would’ve made the finals five days ago I would’ve been unbelievably happy.” BIG BOOST
Three jockeys sustained injuries and had to be rushed to hospital in two separate races, the sixth and seventh, respectively, at Caymanas Park yesterday.Coming out worst was three-time champion Dane Nelson, whose mount, MONTEGONIAN, stumbled and fell approaching the furlong pole in the sixth race over 1300 metres, decking the popular jockey. In the ensuing melee, STRAIGHTFROMUHEART was brought down, throwing jockey Richard Mitchell as well. The horse also stepped on Nelson, who lay motionless on the ground for a while before he was rushed to the First Aid Post in the track ambulance.Nelson regained consciousness shortly after, but was then fitted with a neck brace by the paramedics and taken to the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI) for treatment and further observation.Mitchell, on the other hand, escaped injury, but did not ride for the remainder of the day.In the very next race over 1500 metres, won by 7-2 chance DREAMCOMETRUE, both DINNER BY SEVEN and STIR IT UP dislodged their respective riders, Paul ‘Country’ Francis and the veteran Vassell ‘Jollyman’ Najair in the backstretch.Francis is suspected to have fractured his collar bone, while the 62-year-old Najair was badly shaken up and received an injury to his face. Both were taken to the UHWI for observation.SEVERAL SPILLSAlthough there have been several spills on racedays at Caymanas, only one has claimed the life of a jockey in 56 years of racing at the track. This occurred on November 20, 1999, when popular lightweight jockey, Al Gopie, was thrown by his mount, SAGAR, at the half mile and was trampled by horses in the day’s penultimate race.Meanwhile, firm favourites ROYAL ASSAULT and ETERNAL JOY led from start to finish to win the co-feature races on the card.Ridden by champion jockey Shane Ellis for trainer Anthony ‘Baba’ Nunes, the much-improved 4-y-o colt, ROYAL ASSAULT, romped the overnight allowance sprint as the 3-5 favourite. And 30 minutes later, the Neive Graham-trained ETERNAL JOY, a 2-1 favourite, with apprentice Linton Steadman replacing the injured Paul Francis, did likewise in the closing race over 1200 metres for the Colin Melhado Memorial Cup (claiming $250,000-$210,000).
LONDON (AP):The IOC advised national Olympic committees yesterday to follow the World Health Organization’s (WHO) guidance on dealing with the Zika virus ahead of the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, asserting its confidence that the games will be safe.Brazil has been hit hard by the mosquito-borne virus, which has been linked to severe birth defects in infants, raising concerns about the outbreak’s potential impact on South America’s first Olympics in August.The International Olympic Committee (IOC) sent a note to all national Olympic committees outlining the latest medical advice concerning the Zika virus, the most recent problem for a country already dealing with a severe economic crisis and a sprawling corruption scandal.”All parties are taking action to address this topic, and are following developments closely,” the IOC said.The two-page note from the IOC medical commission repeated advice for travellers to take precautions against mosquito bites and for women who are planning to become pregnant to assess the potential risks of travelling to areas infected with the virus.”The IOC remains in close contact with the WHO to ensure that we have access to the most up-to-date information and guidance, from now through to Games time,” the IOC statement said. “At the same time NOCs should consult with their national health authorities to get advice and guidance.”The IOC did not say the Olympics were threatened in any way and made it clear that it expects the Aug. 5-21 games to be secure for athletes and visitors.”We remain confident that there will be a safe environment for successful and enjoyable games in Rio de Janeiro,” the statement concluded.
Reflecting on the local football landscape of four years ago, Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) boss, Captain Horace Burrell, believes Jamaicans should be reasonably satisfied with paying what he considers “minimal” prices to see the Reggae Boyz play inside the National Stadium.Burrell was addressing questions posed about JFF’s ticket prices ahead of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier between Jamaica and Nicaragua, scheduled to be played at 8 p.m. on Friday, September 4, inside the National Stadium, Kingston.The ticket prices are grandstand one $6,500 per person; grandstand two, $5,500 per person; and bleachers, $1,200 per person.The Reggae Boyz are fresh off impressive Copa America and CONCACAF Gold Cup showings, which were hosted in Chile and between the United States and Canada, respectively.In the latter, Jamaica were beaten finalists, losing 3-1 to Mexico, while defeating pre-tournament favourites the United States of America prior to the final.value for money”When you consider that four years ago the costs were almost the same for the grandstand when … rental of the stadium and all the other costs have gone up, the airfares have gone up, remuneration to the players have gone up, it’s value for money,” he told The Gleaner.”We ask for your support, because this team is not the team for Raymond Grant (JFF general secretary for Captain Burrell, for anyone, it is a team for Jamaica, and I think every single Jamaican is proud of our team and would want to support,” he underlined.”We want to keep reminding them that these costs are even lower at this stage than the costs of four years ago. The last time around, tickets was [sic] at $1,500,” he said.Meanwhile, persons who purchase tickets from August 28-September 2 will get a $200 discount on bleachers tickets.”This is the commencement of the journey to Russia, and I am sure every single Jamaican at home and abroad is going to want to play a part on the whole evolution of this tremendous drive towards qualification,” stressed Burrell.
In the future, overseas coaches may be in Jamaica to lift 800-metre running in the island. That’s the renewed promise from Warren Blake, president of the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA). The intention arose in an interview early this month.Though there were earlier hopes of learning from distance giant Kenya, Dr Blake said, “The programme of partnering with countries which are strong in the 800 is still in the mind of the JAAA.”Help may not come from Kenya, home of brilliant middle-distance runners like David Rudisha and Asbel Kiprop. Alluding to allegations of corruption and drug violations faced by Kenyan track and field currently, the JAAA president said, “The leadership of that federation is really in a spot of trouble, to put it mildly.”In the meantime, help may come from other nations.”We’re going to be looking at other countries to partner with,” he said.Since the days when Arthur Wint and George Kerr won Olympic medals, Jamaica has only produced one Olympic and/or World Championship finalist in the 800 metres – Kenia Sinclair.Her national record of one minute, 57.88 seconds was set in 2006. Sinclair has been hampered with injuries in recent seasons, but finished in sixth position in both the 2008 Olympic final and the 2011 World Championship final.On the men’s side, Clive Terrelonge won the gold medal at the 1995 World Indoor Championships.While Natoya Goule and Simoya Campbell broke two minutes for the distance last year, 1996 was the last time Jamaica had athletes beating the men’s threshold of one minute, 46 seconds. Both Mario Vernon-Watson and Alex Morgan did it in that Olympic year.The men’s national record has stood to Seymour Newman at one minute, 45.21 seconds since 1977. The national junior record is almost 52 years old and remains at one minute, 46.6 seconds. That was a World Junior record when it was set by Neville Myton in 1964.
The KIG JEEP Junior and Mentor Doubles Tennis Classic is scheduled to serve off on Saturday at the Liguanea Club, New Kingston, at 9 a.m.The Junior and Mentor programme is the brainchild of Llockett McGregor and is part of his mandate to invest in junior players on multiple levels.The concept, which began six years ago, was forged because of the apparent disconnect between juniors, seniors, and past players.Judith Denton, sales and marketing manager at KIG JEEP, said that they got involved in sponsoring the event because of the intent behind the tournament.”Kingston Industrial Garage is very pleased to be associated with an event that encourages ‘giving back’ and which has the potential for positive, lasting effects on the development of young tennis players in Jamaica,” said Denton.This unique tournament features amateur players (21 and over), partnered with young players on the junior tennis circuit, enjoying competitive action on the courts.The adult amateurs are meant to form a bond with their junior partners and will, hopefully, follow their progress on and off the courts, offer encouragement, advice, and continued moral support.”Adult amateurs select a junior’s name and they’re teamed with them as doubles partners. The mentors are expected to continue in the juniors’ lives, whether it’s on court or off court, providing moral support and encouragement,” McGregor said.Amateurs and juniors alike are invited to sign up to participate, by today, through their respective clubs’ notice boards, Tennis Jamaica, or directly with McGregor at the Liguanea Club.As part of its sponsorship arrangement, an extensive range of KIG’s Jeep vehicles will be shown at the event, and participants, patrons, and members of the Liguanea Club are invited to see and experience the brand at leisure.Trophies will be awarded to the winners and runners-up following the conclusion of finals on Saturday.
WE EXPECT help whenever we are injured while playing a sport. We also expect the helpers to know what they are doing. A qualified first-aider should be present at every match and training session. There are a number of serious injuries and conditions that require prompt action, therefore, we should know what to look for and how to act if someone is seriously injured. When a sportsperson has stopped breathing, we can restart their respiratory system by forcing air into their lungs. We can do this by giving mouth-to-mouth ventilation (MMV). If their heart has stopped beating, we can try to get it beating again by cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or a cardiac massage. However, we should always try to send for medical assistance. The following procedures can be applied while waiting for help to arrive. Mouth-to-mouth ventilation (MMV) MMV, referred to sometimes as the ‘Kiss of Life’, is an emergency procedure used to restore breathing by inflating the casualty’s lungs with your own breath. This usually helps the casualty to breathe on his own again and may very well save his life. 1. Have the casualty lie on his back and then open the airways by lifting the chin and tilting the head back. 2. Clear the mouth and throat of any obstruction. 3. Pinch the nostrils closed with thumb and index finger to prevent air from escaping. 4. Take a deep breath. Seal your lips firmly around the casualty’s open mouth. Breathe out smoothly and firmly until the chest rises. Take your mouth away watch the chest fall. 5. Take another deep breath and repeat. Repeat with one breath every six seconds for one minute. If breathing hasn’t returned within one minute, continue MMV, and check for pulse. If there is no pulse, start CPR. If breathing returns, place casualty in the recovery position. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)/ cardiac massage If you are certain that the person has no pulse, CPR is a way of forcing a stopped heart to beat while waiting for medical help to arrive. 1. Check for a pulse. If the heart has stopped, there will be no pulse, the skin will be pale, lips blue, and arms and legs will be limp. 2. Place the person on his back and use the fingers to find the point where the ribs meet the breastbone. Put your middle finger over this point and your index finger higher up on the breast bone. 3. Put the heel of the other hand on the breast bone just above your index finger. This is the point where pressure should be applied. 4. Place the heel of the other hand on top of this hand and interlock your fingers. 5. Lean over the person with your arms straight. Press down firmly on the breast bone to a depth of about 45cm, then rock backwards to release the pressure. Keep your hands in place. Repeat at a rate of about 100 compressions in a minute. 6. Check pulse regularly. Stop compressions as soon as pulse returns. MMV and CPR If the casualty isn’t breathing and has no pulse, the following actions must be taken. 1. Open his airway and give two breaths using MMV. 2. Give 15 chest compressions. 3. Give two breaths. 4. Give 15 chest compressions. 5. Repeat the above until help arrives, while checking breathing and pulse regularly. The recovery position Always use the recovery position for an unconscious person who is breathing. The position is slightly altered if the person has certain injuries. An individual can be rolled into the basic recovery position by doing the following. 1. Tilt the head back. This prevents the tongue from blocking throat and closing off the airways. 2. Keep the neck and back in a straight line. 3. Keep the hip and knee both bent at 90 degrees. This keeps the body safe, stable and comfortable. 4. Use the individual’s hand to support the head, which should be slightly lower than the rest of the body. This allows fluids to drain from the mouth. 5. Check pulse and breathing regularly while waiting for medical help. NB: The Red Cross and other organisations, conduct first aid courses. With a little training we may be able to provide life saving assistance in an emergency. Next Week: Health and Nutrition
SPURS (4-2-3-1)LLORIS,WALKER, ALDERWIRELD, VERTONGHEN, ROSEDIER, DEMBELE,LAMELA, ALLI ERIKSEN,KANERONDON, BERAHINO,McCLEAN, YACOB, FLETCHER, SESSEGNON,CHESTER, EVANS, McAULEY, DAWSON,FOSTERWBA (4-4-2)Tottenham Hotspur’s previously slim hopes of winning the Barclays Premier League for the first time received a boost last weekend and, should Leicester falter at home to Swansea on Sunday, Spurs can reduce the deficit at the top of the table to just two points with three games remaining.The fact is Leicester still have their fate in their own hands with eight points needed, as it stands, from 12 available to secure a famous success. However, they were held to a 2-2 draw against West Ham last Sunday before Spurs put in an impressive performance at Stoke City a day later, winning 4-0.Harry Kane and Deli Alli both scored twice in that game, with the former taking his league tally to 47 since the start of last season. Eight of Alli’s 10 goals have come on the road.And Spurs return to White Hart Lane having lost just four league games. Their previous fewest losses in top-flight league football is eight, in 2010-11 and 2012-13, meaning that will at least equal a club record and are more than likely to beat it.Two more records could be set: Spurs have scored 64 goals; three short of their best haul in the Premier League, with 67 in the 2009-10 campaign. And they have conceded only 25; their previous fewest in the Premier League is 28 (1995-96 and 2005-06), while the least in any top-flight campaign is 22, in the old First Division in 1970-71.Since losing at home to Leicester in January, Spurs have taken 16 points from a possible 18 and have a clean bill of health. Albion, in Premier League action at Arsenal on Thursday, miss Chris Brunt and James Morrison.
DEFENDING junior champions Denbigh high and senior champions, Holmwood Technical will take another step to defend their title when quarter-final action of the Rural ISSA Schoolgirl Netball Competition gets under way today at Manchester High starting at 10:00 a.m.After weeks of intense competition the top eight junior and senior teams have sorted out themselves and it should be interesting in both sections in Manchester today as close battles are expected with Montego Bay High, Manchester High, Dinthill Technical, Holmwood Technical, Glenmuir, St Thomas Technical and Bishop Gibson High have all joined Denbigh among the juniors.LEADING THE WAYDefending champions, Holmwood Technical, who are also all-island champions will lead the way among the senior teams. Also advancing with them are Denbigh, Manchester High, Herbert Morrison Technical, Thompson Town, Knox College and Anchovy High.The opening matches today among the juniors at 10am will see Holmwood going up against Glenmuir and Manchester High playing Dinthill. All four teams topped their groups in second round action, winning all five matches to finish on 15 points.Denbigh will go up against Montego Bay high at 11:30am, with St Thomas Technical and Bishop Gibson squaring off at the same time.Senior action will get under way at 10:45 am, with home team Manchester High facing Thompson Town and defending champions Holmwood going up against Glenmuir. The remaining games will begin at 12:15pm and will see Denbigh high meeting Herbert Morrison and Knox College playing Anchovy.