first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion After being away for an extended time, I’m looking forward to commenting on a few issues, both serious and not so serious.The first issue that has caught my attention is about whether a bakery owner has the right to refuse to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple.It was a matter of whether the bakery owner had the right to freely practice his religion as the Constitution guarantees.If that bakery were around this area, I would go in and order a wedding cake, agree to the decoration, etc. then, just before paying for the cake, I would smile sweetly and ask, “I’m twice divorced (true), will that be a problem?” Lorene HuntleySchenectadyMore from The Daily Gazette:Troopers: Schenectady pair possessed heroin, crack cocaine in Orange County Thruway stopSchenectady police reform sessions pivot to onlineEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censusEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationlast_img read more

first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionIn early October 2017, Schenectady Mayor Gary McCarthy and a couple of candidates running for City Council came to my home campaigning. In conversation, I expressed a neighborhood concern. They all agreed it needed attention. The mayor had someone take the information down and told me he would look into the matter. On Oct. 21, I decided to send the mayor a private Facebook message to see when I could expect the matter to be resolved. I received no response. On Dec. 14, I called the mayor’s office and left a voicemail message. Again no response. On Jan. 3, 2018, I left another private Facebook message and got no response.I then called what I thought was the appropriate office at City Hall to voice my concern and was told: “I’ll pass your message onto the office that handles this type of matter.” I asked to please have someone call me regarding the issue. Again, no response. I also emailed two city councilmen and received no responses. Last but certainly not least, on April 19, I sent Councilman Vince Riggi a private Facebook message. Less than an hour later, he responded by telling me he contacted the appropriate office and would follow up with me.On April 26, Councilman Riggi updated me, and days later the problem was resolved. After thanking him for not only helping me but for all he does for the city of Schenectady, his response was, “Always my pleasure to serve Joanne. If there’s anything in the future, do not hesitate to let me know.”Mr. Riggi, you are an asset to the city of Schenectady and you know the true meaning of serving the people you work for. Your efforts are appreciated.JOANNE HWASZCZSchenectadyMore from The Daily Gazette:Schenectady, Saratoga casinos say reopening has gone well; revenue down 30%Schenectady department heads: Budget cutbacks would further stress already-stretched departmentsSchenectady NAACP calls for school layoff freeze, reinstatement of positionsSchenectady’s Lucas Rodriguez forging his own path in dance, theater, musicEDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homeslast_img read more

first_imgCategories: Letters to the Editor, OpinionMLK Day: We have a long way to goThe Jan. 21 edition of The Daily Gazette illustrated American racism well.Gazette first page: 1) A long article under the headline “Siena poll: Most say racism persists.” 2) A photo of a parade of largely segregated Union College students, celebrating MLK’s legacy. 3) A long article under the headline “Union students rally to MLK’s message,” continued on page 7 with large photo of Union College’s Dr. Gretchel Hathaway, minority dean of diversity and inclusion, lecturing on MLK’s legacy. First page Local Section: Three photos of fully segregated Americans acting “in the spirit of MLK.” Opinion page: Sympathetic letter suggesting NAACP change its name to eliminate the words “Colored People.”All reminders that earlier this month we celebrated the only national holiday we have that is based on a single person. (in itself racist?) If the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. were to return, I suppose he would be shocked to see what we have done to this nation in his name.From his famous speech: “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” What did we get: A nation ruled by “affirmative action,” judged by the color of the skin. That’s precisely what MLK wanted eliminated.This nation will never eliminate racism until we eliminate government racism and help each other on the basis of need, not government edict.Clyde MaughanSchenectadySidewalk plan has plenty of problemsWe are writing to express our concerns regarding the Schenectady Sidewalk Initiative Pilot Project that was rolled out on Ardsley Avenue, and is supposed to roll out in April on our street, DeCamp Avenue.Under this project, residents are expected to pay assessed fees to replace the sidewalks.On Ardsley, residents got “sticker shock” when their tax bills indicated that they were to pay nearly twice as much as they were told, now that the work is done.New bills are supposed to be generated to correct the error.When we were unable to obtain information from the city, The Daily Gazette provided information that allowed us to review expected fees for DeCamp residents; like Ardsley, the costs appear that they, too, will be close to twice what was projected by the city.Some streets have been upgraded in recent years, with no assessed fees, yet others have not. As of today, we still have nothing in writing on when the sidewalks will be repaired, what the paving schedule is or what the actual costs will be.It seems to us that this sidewalk project is not viable.Residents should not have to hound the city to get streets paved and get signed petitions to get sidewalks repaired under a special initiative, especially when downtown and many other streets exactly like DeCamp (Wright, Parkwood and Glenwood) are upgraded with no fees required from residents.This is Councilman John Polimeni’s initiative. What is your response?Laurie and David BacheldorSchenectadyLaurie Bacheldor is an officer for the 12309 Neighborhood Association and vice president of Schenectady United Neighborhoods.More from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationGov. Andrew Cuomo’s press conference for Sunday, Oct. 18EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the censuslast_img read more

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

first_imgTo access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletterslast_img

first_imgHe said police had a “strong case” against the first lady, who was unable to appear in court on Tuesday due to logistical reasons.The eight other accused will also be summoned by the police. Maesaiah Thabane went missing last month after being summoned as part of an investigation into the killing of Lipolelo Thabane — Prime Minister Thomas Thabane’s estranged wife.The couple was involved in bitter divorce proceedings when she was gunned down outside her home in Lesotho’s capital Maseru in June 2017, two days before her husband’s inauguration. New evidence surfaced in early January, when a letter from Lesotho’s police chief was made public alleging that communication records from the day of the crime picked up the prime minister’s mobile number.Thomas Thabane, who is now 80, has since bowed to pressure and offered to resign at a date not yet disclosed. He has also been questioned by the police over the killing.But his current wife vanished when the police called her in to testify last month, prompting the issuing of an arrest warrant.The prime minister’s press attache did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the murder charge.The murder of 58-year-old Lipolelo Thabane sent shock waves through the tiny mountain kingdom, which is ringed by South Africa and has a long history of political turmoil.Senior members of the ruling All Basotho Convention (ABC) party have accused the prime minister of hampering investigations into the killing.Thabane last month said he would leave office on the grounds of old age but gave no time frame for his departure.Hundreds of opposition supporters marched through the streets of Maseru on the day the prime minister was quizzed by police, demanding he step down with immediate effect.Maesaiah Thabane was picked up on the border with South Africa following an arrangement between her lawyer and the police. Topics : Lesotho police on Tuesday charged first lady Maesaiah Thabane with murder for her alleged links to the brutal 2017 killing of the prime minister’s previous wife.Maesaiah Thabane, 42, will spend the night in custody after she came out of hiding and turned herself in to the police earlier on Tuesday. “She has been charged with murder alongside eight others who are in Lesotho and South Africa,” deputy police commissioner Paseka Mokete told reporters, adding that investigations had been “satisfactorily completed”.last_img read more

first_imgGeneral Motors announced Monday it would scrap struggling Australian car brand Holden, with engineering, design and sales operations to be wound down in the coming months.The more than 150-year-old company created Australia’s first local mass-produced vehicle and was a dominant brand in the country for decades, becoming a cultural touchstone Down Under.In 2017, it followed Ford and Toyota in moving production offshore, marking the end of car manufacturing in the country. GM’s senior vice president of international operations, Julian Blissett, said about 600 people would lose their jobs in the coming months as a result of ending the brand in Australia and New Zealand.”This was an agonising decision for us and one we didn’t make lightly or easily,” he said.Blissett said GM had come to the realisation that it was unable to make the “significant investment” required for Holden to be competitive and profitable in the long term.”With the global consolidation of the automotive industry, it’s becoming increasingly challenging for us to support a brand and a business that operates in just two markets,” he said.GM said it would honour all after-sales commitments such as warranties and offer servicing and spare parts to Holden owners for at least 10 years.With 1.6 million Holden cars still on the roads, about 200 people are expected to be kept on staff to carry out that work.Topics :last_img read more

first_imgThe announcement came as governments and central banks around the world announce fiscal stimulus and monetary easing policies, following the historic global financial market rout spurred by fears over the COVID-19 pandemic.The new measures add to the first Rp 10.3 trillion stimulus package announced on Feb. 25 that provided mortgage subsidies for low-income families and fiscal incentives for travel-related industries. The government will also speed up the disbursement of social spending in the first quarter and subsidies for the pre-employment card program this month. The government also unveiled a non-fiscal stimulus package that includes a reduction in the number of goods prohibited for import and the acceleration of export and import processing and licensing, especially for reputable traders.Read also: Tax breaks, job training to combat virus impactsIn the financial sector, the Financial Services Authority (OJK) announced it would allow banks to issue new “policies to stimulate economic growth, especially for borrowers affected by the COVID-19 outbreak, including MSMEs [micro, small and medium enterprises]”. The policies include the relaxation of credit assessment and restructuring requirements.“This will not be the last announcement, as the developments have been extremely dynamic. We will assess the situation to mitigate and minimize the impacts. We cannot eradicate the impacts but we can minimize them for corporations and the public,” Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati told a press briefing in Jakarta. Key elements of the second stimulus package announced on March 13 The government announced on Friday that it would allocate Rp 120 trillion (US$8.1 billion) from the state budget to stimulate the economy by providing tax incentives and subsidies for workers, businesses and families affected by the COVID-19 pandemic.The government’s second stimulus package, worth Rp 22.9 trillion, includes individual and corporate tax breaks as well as the relaxation of loan disbursement and restructuring requirements.Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said manufacturing workers with incomes below Rp 200 million per year would be exempted from paying income taxes for six months. The government has also cut the corporate income tax rate by 30 percent for six months and deferred import tax payments for six months for 19 manufacturing industries. It will also speed up repayments of overpaid tax without initial audits.center_img Fiscal stimulus measuresGovernment to exempt manufacturing workers with yearly incomes below Rp 200 million from income tax for six months.Import taxes for raw materials waived for six months for 19 manufacturing industries.Corporate tax rate cut by 30 percent for six months for 19 manufacturing industries.Repayment of overpaid tax to be sped up without initial audits. No limit set for exporters, but Rp 5 billion limit set for non-exporters.Non-fiscal measuresImport restrictions to be reduced for goods under the 749 HS code, including in the fisheries and forestry industries. Health certificate and V-legal documents will no longer be required.Import restrictions to be simplified for raw materials, including steel and alloy steel as well as several food commodities including sugar. The government will also simplify regulations on animal, medicine and food imports.Export-import processes to be sped up for reputable traders.National logistics ecosystem development to be improved.Financial sectorRelaxation of credit scoring requirementsRelaxation of loan restructuring requirementsFoodIssuance of import recommendations to be sped up to ensure sufficient supply and stabilize food prices. Topics :last_img read more

first_imgFormer Italy football captain Paolo Maldini said Monday he expects to recover “within a week” after being diagnosed with the new coronavirus.Maldini, 51, now the technical director at AC Milan, and his 18-year-old son Daniel, a youth team player, had been in self-isolation at home for two weeks.The team announced on Saturday that they would “remain in quarantine until clinically recovered” from COVID-19. Topics : “Once again, you make us feel proud of being Italian. Thanks again.”Maldini, considered one of the greatest defenders of all time, won five Champions League titles with Milan.All sport in Italy has been suspended until April 3 following the outbreak of a virus which has claimed the lives of over 6,000 people in the country.center_img “With this video I wanted to thank all those people who expressed on social media their love and concern for my and my son’s health,” Maldini said on Instagram.”We’re fine — we should be able to get rid of this virus within a week.”Thanks for your continuing affection.”I wanted to thank all those doctors, nurses, health workers, civil protection and law enforcement officers who are facing this emergency with the utmost professionalism and enormous courage.last_img read more